Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Grandmother's Flower Garden >

Grandmother's Flower Garden

Grandmother's Flower Garden

Old 04-03-2007, 02:30 PM

There are two blocks on the Quilter's Cache website that are "almost flower gardens". THe first is called "Easy Flower Block" and the second is "Granny's Flower Garden". Both are nice. Nothing comes close to the original though, IMHO. I don't know that I'll ever be up for the original but I bought some repro fabric for the Granny's Flower Garden and put it on my "I gotta do this when and if I ever find the time" list. I also like the McCall's pattern. TOO many patterns,NEVER enough time.
Attached Thumbnails celtic-knot.png  
Old 04-03-2007, 02:31 PM

Sorry, ladies, I don't know how to post links.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:34 PM

Mary....I don't what everyone else does, but I just type out the link....or copy it from the search box when you find something you want to share. No fany techniques here (at least not the way I do it.)

Give it a try. No one will know the difference.

June
Old 04-04-2007, 11:49 AM

OK, maybe this will work. These are for the two blocks I mentioned.
I don't think it's a link, but it's the right page to go to!

http://www.quilterscache.com/E/EasyFlowerBlock.html
http://www.quilterscache.com/G/GrannysFlowerGardenBlock.html

Hope ya'll like them.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:35 PM
Boo

Yep, you did it, Mary! See putting links in a post is easy! :lol:
Old 04-05-2007, 08:33 AM

I'm torn between-" Hey I learned something new!" and "Duh!" Thanks for sharing knowledge and encourage. Its really nice.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:53 AM

I found a completed top at an antique store for $30. It was not a true Grandmother's Flower Garden, but 1008 or so 1 inch hexagons sewn together (by hand). It looks to be from the 30s or 40s, and I couldn't stand the thought that some woman's work would not be appreciated, so I bought it, started to quilt in a the traditional pattern, and decided to take out what I had done and display it along with the other antique tops I have. I wonder how many tops have been used for rags or stuff? I hope the women who did them so long ago can't see the ones that were abused.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:03 PM

There is definately not enough time in the world for me to do a hand pieced quilt (although when I started quilting, that's all we did) :!: That being said, when I was going on vacation, I had to find something portable to take along on the plane. I decided on hexagons. Instead of cutting out hundreds of papers, though, I bought 2 packages of the plastic hexagons. They are very light weight and I can press the pieces before removing the plastic. I should get really sharp creases that way. I'm using various batiks in yellows, oranges and going into some reds and purples. Definately not your grandma's flower garden :!: I'll post a picture when I get a few nore flowers done.

Also, for those of you who like the pattern but don't want to work with hexagons, there is a pattern available that uses a rhombus instead (that's half a hexagon). That way you sew straight strips by machine and no y seams.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:31 AM

Norah, that just looks so HARD..... (even with your suggestions...) Maybe, in a few years, I'll attempt it. Be sure to post the finished product one of these days---it's going to be a crowd pleaser for sure! :lol: