Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Grandson's quilt top done - needs borders

Would love any and all suggestions for borders!
    Attached Images Attached Images

WOW! Great work. I have no idea about borders though. Maybe small white and then black.

Kyia

beautiful, he will love it. i think if it were mine i would pick up one of the dark blues for the border. but whatever you decide will be stunning.

well here i am and i miss read your posting. border not binding. kyiav had a good idea. a narrow white then dark. i still say whatever you decide is the right thing to do.

Banned
    Cant use a black border, it would be kill the black diamonds at the top and left side,
    Cant use red, it would kill the red squares along the bottom and right side,
    White might be ok for an inner border, but then what? maybe an outer border of the pieced squares? That would be pretty busy...

Im not sure it even needs a border.

I think that I would just bind it with the black polka dots.

Anything else would detract from the wonderful geometric movement of this quilt.

It's beautiful!

I think it needs two borders. First, I would use a light or medium gray for a narrow inner border. Second, I would use a black/navy for the outer border. It would frame the quilt and contain/calm all the busyness going on in the central part. Just my humble opinion! :-)

Very pretty!

How about a thin red, then a white, then a wider blue border.

Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    Beautiful. I won't muddy the waters with my opinion. It is beautiful.

It is really black, white & red, correct - from the close up pic. It does look dk blue in the overall pic. Hmmm, being the chooser of wild colors myself, I think I might put a teeny border, maybe even just a "flange"* of yellow or bright royal blue, then a small (1" - 1.5") border of red & finish with a black border of about 3". That first bright strip would stop the pattern, then the other 2 borders would frame it. Just a thought anyway! :wink:

*flange = a strip of no more than an inch wide, folded in half, and sewn in between the body of the quilt & the first border.

Love the flange idea in a wild contrast! Good idea, Sue! That sure is a gorgeous quilt! You did a great job beachlady!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am more confused more han ever!! Zyx, is there a tute on the flange idea? Not sure I understand what you mean. And yes, the quilt is red/black (not blue) and white with some gray in the one block. Not sure is David would like the idea of yellow - will have to ask him. He is 14.

I googled flange and understand what you mean now and I like that idea - just not sure what color to use.

But keep the ideas coming - I need all the help I can get!!

Blog Entries
    Hi beachlady I would use a narrow yellow gold or something to contrast for a narrow border and zinger cut one and half or two inches at most then decide on outer border maybe dots or stripes just my idea anice quilt show again when you decide

The backing I bought is a black/white and gray stripe so is pretty tame. A bright yellow/gold might look good. Thanks for the idea.

How about a neon green flange? Or turquoise? There's not much more you can do to improve that beauty!

Blog Entries
    Love the black & white. As for borders, I think I'd have black as the outside border. Maybe red for a small inner border.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jstitch
    Cant use a black border, it would be kill the black diamonds at the top and left side,
    Cant use red, it would kill the red squares along the bottom and right side,
    White might be ok for an inner border, but then what? maybe an outer border of the pieced squares? That would be pretty busy...

Im not sure it even needs a border.

I think that I would just bind it with the black polka dots.

Anything else would detract from the wonderful geometric movement of this quilt.
    I AGREE, NO BORDER. JUST BINDING.

I agree with jstitch -- black polka dot binding. This quilt speaks for itself. And it's a beauty ! lol

I think is gorgeous the way it is with no border just binding.

Blog Entries
    Great quilt. I think small red boder that a larger black boder would bring it all togeather.

I agree with jstitch

I would put a red border along the top and left and black along the right and bottom.

Banned
    I'm not good on advice with borders etc, but I sure like your quilt. Your grandson is gonna LOVE LOVE LOVE IT

Maple Grove, MN (by way of GA, NC, PA, NC, AL!)
    how about for the edges where the red is touching (but no black) you do a black border and the other 2 edges where the red is NOT touching, you use the red as a border. Then bind in the same fabric as your backing to draw that forward. You would have one border, but use 2 fabrics.

Since your block is offset, (kind of like an attic window) how about a solid red border about 3-4" wide on the top and left hand side (where it will be up against the black and white patches) and a 3-4" solid black border on the right hand side and the bottom (where it will be up against the red and white patches). I have done quilt borders like this in the past and it can have a nice effect.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast