Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Grandmother needs help with quilt for grandson

Grandmother needs help with quilt for grandson

My 8 year old grandson wants a quilt for his twin size bed. He wants navy blue and orange. I would like a simple pattern and do you think orange and navy blue will look okay or should another color be added? Thanks.

Power Poster
    Orange and blue are okay together - they were my school colors - and they are the school colors for one of the universities or colleges in Florida!

They are opposite of each other on the color wheel - so they work okay together (depending on the shades of orange and blue, of course!)

Navy blue and orange are U. of Illinois colors . Pretty together can add white or black maybe. Just a thought.

Navy blue and orange go together great: I am from Illinois so I see a great deal of those colors. If you want a simple quilt, make 4 patches with solid fabrics in-between. Go to QuiltersCache.com and look at their patterns.

Blog Entries
    For a easy quilt that looks harder, I'd grab a black for the center square of the block and make a Disappearing 9 Patch. Here's a link to a three color one.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...37-336899.html

That picture is huge. For a look at the whole quilt, go to 'Pictures', then 'Quilt Gallery', then 'D9P'. It will be there.

There are good tutorials for that pattern here on the QB and on the web in some blogs.
    Last edited by irishrose; 09-30-2012 at 12:39 PM.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Half square triangles in those 2 colors would give you lots of layout possibilities.

Here you go Mimi....how about Hunters star pattern: http://www.equiltpatterns.com/quiltp...roducts_id=549
    I think Navy and Orange go together well Good luck
    SUEB

I think those colors will work wonderfully together.

QM
    They will certainly work together. There are a number of patterns that work well for 2-color quilts, or add others, such as the black/white suggested. If you don't want a completely 2 color/fabric quilt, you might consider a mild tone of one, such as a medium-light blue for sashing. My personal preference would be oversized, high-impact blocks, such as 16" sawtooth stars or 18" friendship stars, with the orange on the navy. Pinwheels can be made just about any size and can have a "pow" effect with a sashing.

QM
    alternately, do one orange on blue and the next block blue on orange.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by QM; 09-30-2012 at 03:36 PM.

Blog Entries
    I agree with the disappearing 9 patch...quick, easy and it looks great!

those are Chicago Bears colors....Could he be a fan?
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

here is the navy blue and pumpkin orange top I am making for a friend who went to SU in New York.
    I also did a block in navy blue and a brighter orange, which looked ok too. This is the day and night blocks, but it is not for a little boys room, but you can see what the colors look like.

What my grandson liked the best was the drag-around quilts I made from panels. One is a spiderman panel and the other is cars. He uses them every day.
    Syl

Last edited by ThreadHead; 09-30-2012 at 03:51 PM.
    Syl

Blog Entries
    I'm going to do this in shades of Orange and Navy Blue for my Grandnephew. It's the team colors of the local high school. I'm going to put a Giant M in the middle for the name of the town. Thunderbolts is the team name.

http://seejennmakestuff.blogspot.com...-tutorial.html

I too have plans to make a quilt for our GS. But I am doing an I SPY quilt. This would be an easy pattern for you to use also. Just cut squares, (you choose the size)and strip sew them together. You could add a print then a blue then a print then an orange then a print .....you get the idea. That way the prints wont all run together but will have a break in between them and still give him hours of enjoyment looking (I SPYING) the things on the qult.

Have fun let us know what you decide to do.
    LaQuita (aka) - Yai-Yai to the most precious grandbaby around of course I'm partial! LOL

HAPPY QUILTING!
    www.caringbridge.org/visit/shea

QM
    Yes, please do.

I have found that just cause I don't like a color combo..doesn't mean the receiver won't like them! IF that is what he wants...let him have it! Make pinwheels or a 4 patch. Northern Star is my fav for 2 colors. You could use blue as the background and orange as the pinwheel or orange as the background and blue as the star. Or use both those colors as the pattern and use off white or black or other color for the background. Hope to see a pic!

Blog Entries
    no problems with the colors Not sure about the pattern though. Maybe pinwheels or disappearing 9 patch if you use more than one shade of the colors. Good luck!!!!

I'll bet you will be able to find a print that has navy and orange in it. Once you find the fabric you like, the rest will come easy. Be sure to let us know (and see) what you end up making.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeebreak View Post
    I have found that just cause I don't like a color combo..doesn't mean the receiver won't like them! IF that is what he wants...let him have it! Make pinwheels or a 4 patch. Northern Star is my fav for 2 colors. You could use blue as the background and orange as the pinwheel or orange as the background and blue as the star. Or use both those colors as the pattern and use off white or black or other color for the background. Hope to see a pic!
    Boy are you right on color likes and dislikes. I didn't like the color combo of orange and navy, but two people in my house loved it.??? I made stuffed horses with different clothes and colors and sometimes my kids would say they didn't like the clothes, like ugh! however, other people bought them and loved them. You never know!
    Syl

Blue and orange are complmentary colors and I'd add some another color like cream. When my 18 yr old DGD said she would like her college quilt in orange I was worried and my worry increased when she showed me some fabrics online - they were Waverly decorating fabrics which are kind of heavy for quilts. My worries were put rest when I found a soft orange and cream print that looked like a Waverly print but was in a quilting cotton. First I searched all the LQSs but found it in Joann's. She loved it and said her college roomate said the quilt suited her to a T. May in Jersey

This is one of my favorites though it's nowhere near the size you need. I'm going to make one for myself and for my grand children, and I'll enclose a written description on the indian nations' tradition of giving each child a woven dream catcher. The kids today will find it very comforting I'm sure,

How about doing a Single Irish Chain quilt. You could pick a third color that would go well with the orange and blue.