Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Grease? on quilt >

Grease? on quilt

Grease? on quilt

Old 11-30-2012, 05:56 AM

My favorite way to get rid of grease is to use Stanley Degreaser. You have to buy it from a Stanley dealer so it is a little hard to find. Really works good though. Dawn dish washing liquid is my next favorite. Good luck, it's a beautiful quilt.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:41 PM

First, I'd rub some cornstarch into the stains with an old toothbrush. Leave it on overnight. Brush off surface constarch with the toothbrush and see how much of the grease the cornstarch absorbed. Then - take a bar of plain Ivory soap
take a wet, clean, light colored cloth and rub some Ivory onto the cloth. Rub the stain with plenty of Ivory. Now, you can do one of two things: 1. keep scrubbing the spot(s) with the Ivory until you see the stain lighten or disappear or
2. rub the Ivory into the stain then leave it for awhile, then do step one. Leaving the soap in for a while allows it to absorb the stain and makes it easier to rub out(it doesn't hurt if the soap dries on the fabric). After cleaning with the soap, you should rinse by rubbing with a clean, wet cloth. You can skip the cornstarch and just do the Ivory routine if you want.

Holding or placing a dry towel under the area you're working on will absorb the excess water and help it dry faster. You can also use a blow dryer to dry faster. If after drying there is a ring, that's soap residue and can easily be rinsed out by rinsing again. I find this works on 90% of stains and does very well even on oil or grease stains.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:48 PM

interestin, I just read on pinterest where rubbing the spot of grease with white chalk will take the grease off
Old 11-30-2012, 07:54 PM
amh

Ok ladies, please don't choke when you gasp at what I'm about to say. Brake cleaner will take grease out of fabric.

I work in a machine repair shop and grease has found it's way onto many different clothes of mine -- all kinds of fabric. Before I wash the item, I spray with brake cleaner and blot and rub till it is out. Then I wash it right away. Having said that, we use it at work on car seats, office chairs, etc., and then don't wash them and they are fine, but that's different fabric than quilts. On a quilt I would use it as a last resort and then wash right away. It stinks so do it outside if at all possible.

I did not say it was conventional, but I know it works.

amh