Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Great Yard Sale Find >

Great Yard Sale Find

Great Yard Sale Find

Old 09-22-2010, 09:32 AM

Congratulations!
Old 09-22-2010, 09:34 AM

Its a Japanese Singer model 15 clone. They are very nice machines, they use the Singer low shank feet and class 15 bobbins.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:36 AM

Wow, what a find! I just love the old machines. Hopefully, Billy will fill us all in on it's history.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Its a Japanese Singer model 15 clone. They are very nice machines, they use the Singer low shank feet and class 15 bobbins.
Thanks purplefiend. I did google Japanese Sewing Machines and it said Japan was making machines for many different companies in the late 40's and 50's.

"Shortly after W.W.II, Japan, with money from the United States, manufactured a large number of sewing machines. The most common of these were based on the Singer Model 15 but there are also Singer 99 clones. Indeed many of these machines are practically indistinguishable from a Singer and use parts that are interchangeable. Often they were given American sounding names to appeal to the overseas market. Over 5000 different "brands" have been identified, manufactured by 15 or so companies. Unfortunately, records from these manufactures don't exist, so it is impossible to identify them further. Generally speaking, a machine will, somewhere, state "made in Japan" or have "JA- " stamped into the bottom of the machine. To further complicate matters, large retailers would purchase machines and have the company name on them: RH Macy, Gimbals, etc. Any retailer so inclined could have Sewing Machines made just for him or her (Sears Kenmore, Wards Signature). I've tracked Department Stores, Machines with Automobile names, female names, patriotic names etc. The post war machines are generally well made, often quieter and smoother running than the Singers they were copied from! Japan also gave us many of our colored sewing machines. Examples have been found in metallic blue, green, pink, yellow, and I have a Fire Engine Red one! In terms of collectability, don't be fooled by a claim of "an extremely rare" Mitsubishi, Ford, Saxon, Stitch Queen etc., the same machine could have dozens of different names. If it says "Singer" on the machine, it probably is. If it doesn't, it's not. The Japanese machines have not caught on with collectors (even the ones made in Occupied Japan) and as a result retain very little value. They can be found at many thrift shops for $10-$20 and at local auctions for under $5. This might be a good niche for a collector on a limited budget – they could collect all pink machines or one machine of each color. "
Old 09-22-2010, 11:26 AM
Power Poster

These older machines are so beautiful and classy looking. Like cars used to be. When you could tell one make from another.I really enjoy seeing them. Thanks for sharing with all of us. Enjoy your new find. Mary
Old 09-22-2010, 02:28 PM
Google Goddess

wow, cool machine, thanks for posting the pictures for us
Old 09-22-2010, 04:25 PM

Great find. Have fun playing with your new toy. :thumbup:
Old 09-22-2010, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by sandybeach
Found this machine at a yard sale on Friday for $25.00. It is definitely not a featherweight (more like a "tonweight"). I am sending pictures to Billy hoping he can identify it. It has Bell Electric, Los Angeles, CA on one of the tags, then Made in Japan on another. It has a power cord held together with tape so I won't plug it in until it is repaired. Luckily we have a man in town that repairs machines this old. Now if I can talk my sister out of one of her cabinets . . . !

Anyway, enjoy.
i think that bell electric is an electrical contractor/supply company in the la area. i found this for you:

http://www.mygrannysatticantiques.co...wing_mac2.html

is that yours? if so, according to the text, they are made in japan using a bell electric motor mounted on the back.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:07 PM

Your machine has the better bobbin winder. I have found that the Japanese Clone models have a better bobbin winder than the Singer 15. Nice machine; have fun sewing with it.