Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Great Yard Sale Find

Blog Entries
    Found this machine at a yard sale on Friday for $25.00. It is definitely not a featherweight (more like a "tonweight"). I am sending pictures to Billy hoping he can identify it. It has Bell Electric, Los Angeles, CA on one of the tags, then Made in Japan on another. It has a power cord held together with tape so I won't plug it in until it is repaired. Luckily we have a man in town that repairs machines this old. Now if I can talk my sister out of one of her cabinets . . . !

Anyway, enjoy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    can't figure out the white cord coming from the light??? good thing your having the electrical looked at. enjoy

Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California
    Quote Originally Posted by LindaR
    can't figure out the white cord coming from the light??? good thing your having the electrical looked at. enjoy
    My grandma's had an "aftermarket" light attached like that.

Blog Entries
    Ooohh! Pretty!!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mosquitosewgirl
    Quote Originally Posted by LindaR
    My grandma's had an "aftermarket" light attached like that.
    In picture three you will see the power cord and it has two places for plugs, one for "machine" and one for "light". Wierd huh.

Blog Entries
    Congratulations she a beauty :!: :mrgreen:

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Ohhhh that one is different!!!!!!!! Thanks to this board I've become addicted to old machines GeEEZZZZZZZZZ :D
    Congratulations on your awesome find!!!

Pretty Lady!!! I just her!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sandybeach
    Found this machine at a yard sale on Friday for $25.00. It is definitely not a featherweight (more like a "tonweight"). I am sending pictures to Billy hoping he can identify it. It has Bell Electric, Los Angeles, CA on one of the tags, then Made in Japan on another. It has a power cord held together with tape so I won't plug it in until it is repaired. Luckily we have a man in town that repairs machines this old. Now if I can talk my sister out of one of her cabinets . . . !

Anyway, enjoy.
    Bell is the manufacturer of the motor, if that is where that tag is.

Wow! Great find! :)

Congratulations!

Its a Japanese Singer model 15 clone. They are very nice machines, they use the Singer low shank feet and class 15 bobbins.

Wow, what a find! I just love the old machines. Hopefully, Billy will fill us all in on it's history.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend
    Its a Japanese Singer model 15 clone. They are very nice machines, they use the Singer low shank feet and class 15 bobbins.
    Thanks purplefiend. I did google Japanese Sewing Machines and it said Japan was making machines for many different companies in the late 40's and 50's.

"Shortly after W.W.II, Japan, with money from the United States, manufactured a large number of sewing machines. The most common of these were based on the Singer Model 15 but there are also Singer 99 clones. Indeed many of these machines are practically indistinguishable from a Singer and use parts that are interchangeable. Often they were given American sounding names to appeal to the overseas market. Over 5000 different "brands" have been identified, manufactured by 15 or so companies. Unfortunately, records from these manufactures don't exist, so it is impossible to identify them further. Generally speaking, a machine will, somewhere, state "made in Japan" or have "JA- " stamped into the bottom of the machine. To further complicate matters, large retailers would purchase machines and have the company name on them: RH Macy, Gimbals, etc. Any retailer so inclined could have Sewing Machines made just for him or her (Sears Kenmore, Wards Signature). I've tracked Department Stores, Machines with Automobile names, female names, patriotic names etc. The post war machines are generally well made, often quieter and smoother running than the Singers they were copied from! Japan also gave us many of our colored sewing machines. Examples have been found in metallic blue, green, pink, yellow, and I have a Fire Engine Red one! In terms of collectability, don't be fooled by a claim of "an extremely rare" Mitsubishi, Ford, Saxon, Stitch Queen etc., the same machine could have dozens of different names. If it says "Singer" on the machine, it probably is. If it doesn't, it's not. The Japanese machines have not caught on with collectors (even the ones made in Occupied Japan) and as a result retain very little value. They can be found at many thrift shops for $10-$20 and at local auctions for under $5. This might be a good niche for a collector on a limited budget they could collect all pink machines or one machine of each color. "

These older machines are so beautiful and classy looking. Like cars used to be. When you could tell one make from another.I really enjoy seeing them. Thanks for sharing with all of us. Enjoy your new find. Mary

Blog Entries
    wow, cool machine, thanks for posting the pictures for us

Blog Entries
    Great find. Have fun playing with your new toy. :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by sandybeach

Anyway, enjoy.
    i think that bell electric is an electrical contractor/supply company in the la area. i found this for you:

http://www.mygrannysatticantiques.co...wing_mac2.html

is that yours? if so, according to the text, they are made in japan using a bell electric motor mounted on the back.

Blog Entries
    Your machine has the better bobbin winder. I have found that the Japanese Clone models have a better bobbin winder than the Singer 15. Nice machine; have fun sewing with it.