Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Half Yard Challenge Wall Hanging

So true, Tiffany. back around 1998 I decided I was going to make a Lady of the Lake quilt, the one with a large half triangle sguare in the middle of a number of small half triangle squares. I cut what appears to have been thousands (actually about 600) small triangles and a couple of hundred larger ones. It was going to be really scrappy. When I tried to sew the blocks I found my ability to be far less than needed. I couldn't get anything to match. I changed plans and sewed all the larger triangles together and some of the small ones too. Set the lg. squares in between black strips and used the small squares as a border and ended up with a quilt that was beautiful and colorful and my husband staked his claim. Finally after all these years it is a completed top that will be quilted by someone else in the next few weeks. The top I just finished is with the leftover blocks. I'm still sewing the small triangles together and they will be in another quilt. So what was planned to be one quilt ends up as part of 3 quilts. Quilting is an adventure isn't it. Have you ever repurposed your blocks or am I alone in this? Linda

Treasure, Have I ever repurposed my blocks? HHmmm...... Let me count the ways :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Pam :lol: :lol: :lol:

WOW!! Love the colors & star pattern, I wish you lived closer to me, I'd have you teach a class at our guild, they would love it. We have some wonderful quilters in our guild & all ages. Keep sharing your pictures. :thumbup: ;-) Becky

Trust me, you are not alone in this Linda. I've repurposed blocks and set them aside as orphan blocks to be used later for either charity projects or to redesign for another quilt later. I think it is something we all end up doing if a person makes more than a few quilts.

*sigh* Sadly enough, I was merrily sewing away on my UFO when I realized I had spent the last hour sewing pieces on the wrong way. :cry: It is going to take me 2-3 hours to rip out what took an hour to sew. And I was so busy congratulating myself on not having to do any reverse sewing with this project. Teach me! :lol:
    ~Tiffany

I wanna be in your guild! I am not quite understanding what you mean here: "but many people put the line on the outside of the fabric and the black lines of the ruler should line up exactly on the edge of the fabric to get a perfect cut."

Can you elaborate, please?

Pull out your ruler and take a look at the lines. For the yellow ruler with the black lines, the yellow part is quite a bit thicker than that thin black line. You want to put the black line on the exact edge of your fabric, not a smidge over or a smidge under. Does this make sense? If not I can post some pictures.
    ~Tiffany

Thanks! I get what you are saying now. I will have to rethink how I cut as I have always used the measurements on the mat. Maybe that explains my struggles with accuracy.

Tiffany, you did a great job. I can not wait to see the larger version. This one looks great.

Kyia

Thank you Kia! I can't wait to finish what I am working on now and start making it. I started the center and it will be a bit different from the one that is above. Each quilt comes out different because it is being designed as you go. I really love this Challenge. I got it from Fons and Porter and they got it from a gal who does it on ship cruises so it's pretty popular. Part of the fun is starting out with five fabrics and not knowing how they're going to turn out. The key really is fabric choices and getting one really dark and one really light fabric for good contrast and to have a fabric that 'pops' out.

Lucky Patsy's Mom - What did you find when you measured your mat? Were you one of the lucky ones who got a good one or is your mat off?
    ~Tiffany

Well! I measured my mat and at first inspection everything seemed okay, if I looked at the distance between any two parallel lines, it appeared to be an inch. But it must have been off a teeny, tiny fraction because when I checked at the end of my ruler the lines no longer matched up! The tiny bit eventually added up to something discernible! I see I will have to change everything about how I cut stuff out, including the direction that I place the yet-to-be-cut fabric and will need to invest in a ruler larger than the 3 x 18 that I currently have. Thanks for the heads-up, Tiffany!!

Isn't that just amazing! I remember wanting to roll my eyes when I was first told that my teeny little thread would add up to a substantial amount across the width of my quilt. :roll: "Oh yeah, right," I thought. Turns out I'm the dork because it really does make a difference. Still, amazing how such a small amount can make such a great difference in the end product. Somewhere in there is a valuable life lesson. :wink:
    ~Tiffany

Blog Entries
    Can we rely on the outside lines of our cutting mats to let us know if we got our material straight?

Celeste - Yes, that is what I do. I simply use one of the lines to line up my fabric but I don't measure with that line. Does that make sense?
    ~Tiffany

Blog Entries
    nice quilt......

I applaud you for this lesson. So many new quilters just dont understand the importance of getting everything done correctly. A very valuable lesson even for us old piecers.
    Waves of color give my quilts their splash!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    You did more than a pretty good job. It look great. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2