Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Hand Quilting >

Hand Quilting

Hand Quilting

Old 07-18-2010, 06:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by rhueluna
What is happening to handwork? .................... I wonder what you all think.

What I think is that your handwork is awesome. Thank you for sharing! I personally do notice if it is hand done or not and so do my bee friends. It is definately in a category of its own. Thank you for sharing your work.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by MZStitch
I'm so jealous. Beautiful work. I took a hand quilting class and gave it a good try, but I just don't have the talent. I think that's why I'm in awe of those who do!
Don't give up. It takes lots of practice. I thought I would never be able to control my stitches. I couldn't quilt in a straight line or even make my stitches line up. They pointed every which way. I also had trouble keeping the length of the stitches the same. However, I'm a stubborn sort & didn't give up. Kept trying & trying & got better & better til I now am pretty satisfied with the look of my work. I keep trying to get more stitches per inch but most importantly to keep them uniform. Can you remember when you were little & trying to learn to write? It took time & practice. I think learning to hand quilt is very much the same. Again, don't give up. You can do it! :thumbup:
Old 07-18-2010, 07:00 AM

Ha ha ha! I think there are a lot of us out there. The big machine companies sponsor everything so of course they are pushing to sell those things and brain wash everyone to think thats the way to go. It is actually if you want to whip them out and make a blanket for everyone, but if you want an heirloom quilt, you need to do it like quilts were meant to be done in the first place.
I'm sorry, but I'm grateful for machine quilters, and for the machine manufacturers. They help ensure that we have quilt fabric, thread, needles and quilt shops where we can buy them. If the quilting industry waited for everyone to hand quilt their tops, our choices for these things would be pitiful.

Hand quilting is one way of finishing a quilt. It is no better or worse than any other way. I'll take a well-done, beautifully machined quilted quilt over a poorly-done hand quilted one any day (ever look closely at a quilt from China???).

Machine quilting has opened doors so that many women (and men!) can have their own business. Yes, you can do that with hand quilting, but I don't think you could support yourself that way.

And by the way....I hand quilt.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by janice4
I used to hand quilt for many many years... ( I have been quilting almost 30 now.. and steadily for the last ten...I remember not liking the machine look at all.. then it happened.. I wanted to create a top and move on.. and always had about 5 quilts in my head ;).. so i started to send them out and that works for me now. I can appreciate this work you do.. it is beautiful and timeless.. I am sure your family will treasure them always. My gosh and someone who is a recipient of one of your labor of love quilts should be thrilled ! I have started to do some hand applique these days ..I recently did this bird while driving as a passenger for 6 hours hours.
Love that bird. Thanks for the nice comments. I understand wanting to make many usable quilts with the machine.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:16 AM

your handwork is just exquisite!! wish i had someone around me that could teach me. but for now i'll just have to stick to machine quilting. maybe someday someone will teach me handquilting.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by montanaquilter
your handwork is just exquisite!! wish i had someone around me that could teach me. but for now i'll just have to stick to machine quilting. maybe someday someone will teach me handquilting.
I found some tutorials on Youtube. Just enter in your search Youtube hand quilting. I did it yesterday. They make it look hard but they show some good basics.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:24 AM

thanks! i just love youtube!! they have just about everything on there don't they???!!!!!
Old 07-18-2010, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by janice4
I used to hand quilt for many many years... ( I have been quilting almost 30 now.. and steadily for the last ten...I remember not liking the machine look at all.. then it happened.. I wanted to create a top and move on.. and always had about 5 quilts in my head ;).. so i started to send them out and that works for me now. I can appreciate this work you do.. it is beautiful and timeless.. I am sure your family will treasure them always. My gosh and someone who is a recipient of one of your labor of love quilts should be thrilled ! I have started to do some hand applique these days ..I recently did this bird while driving as a passenger for 6 hours hours.
Love that bird. Thanks for the nice comments. I understand wanting to make many usable quilts with the machine.
I make so many quilts......... it would slow my process for sure.... but I can see getting back to it in the future.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:48 AM

Your labors of love are absolutely stunning!!! I share your love and appreciation for what cannot be reproduced with any machine, whether hand guided or computer generated. I do however respect the machine quillter who puts equal time and love into quilting also. Each type of quilting has its' place and deserves mutual respect from other quilters. May we all continue to quilt and learn more from each other!!!
Old 07-18-2010, 08:56 AM

Oh my gosh !!! What beautiful work.
I don't have the patience, plus I tried it ONCE and.....you wouldn't want to see it. :oops: