Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Has anyone made a birthday cake quilt? Please post your pictures

I had so much fun making both of these birthday cake quilts. I wonder if anyone else would share their cakes? The long on has 80 layers as my mom turned 80 ;) she loved it Peytons is for my grandbaby's first birthday last fall...also my first applique.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sewwww nice :!:

Haven't made one, but yours are great!

thanks I had fun doing it and mom loved it . She had used a lot of the fabrics in quilts over the years... I treid to match some themes to age for example.. wedding fabric on row 20..kids on row 4 etc but gave up 80 is a lot and I put this together in a week to send to canada.

so much for those last minute ideas ;)

Looooove the 80th one!!! That's perfect!!

Haven't made a birthday cake quilt... cute idea :)

sew adorable!

I haven't made one but yours are fantastic. I love the eighty layers for grandma. What a cute idea. Great quilts. Thanks for sharing.

The 80th birthday one is great!

Super Member Chigger Holler Quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What a wonderful idea! Sew special; bet there weren't any duplication on those gifts! I will keep that idea in mind maybe start one for a lady in our church who will be turning 92 this fall!I gave her a teddy bear last year and she told me that it's the first one she's ever had! A quilt like that would mean so much to her! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chigger Holler Quilter
    What a wonderful idea! Sew special; bet there weren't any duplication on those gifts! I will keep that idea in mind maybe start one for a lady in our church who will be turning 92 this fall!I gave her a teddy bear last year and she told me that it's the first one she's ever had! A quilt like that would mean so much to her! Thanks
    OH it would and really simple.. I hope you do it . I sewed the stripes onto a foundation... and trimmed it then folded edges over and sewed it onto the backing fabric ( i was majorly pressed for time as I thought to do this about two weeks before her birthday party in canada and I live in Ca and had to get it machine quilted and mailed ) My friend did the both embroidery sign...and actually did an 85th by mistake :). so I have another for later.. or someone else. It was fun and fast.. would do it a little different now that I have time to think about it.

Very cute!!!!! :) I made this one last year....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    What charming a personal gifts! They are all so cute. We should make black and grey ones for the 40th and market them!

Quote Originally Posted by Chrys
    Very cute!!!!! :) I made this one last year....
    very cute

I made one from a pattern by Zebra Patterns. The creator, Debra Gabel, was a speaker at both of my guilds. She does great patterns. It was meant to be a chairback cover for the birthday person. It was a great hit at my great-nephew's birthday party. I didn't take pictures. I will try and remember when I make one for the next family.

Quote Originally Posted by JoyjoyMarie
    What charming a personal gifts! They are all so cute. We should make black and grey ones for the 40th and market them!
    same problem as marketing any quilt .. who pays for all your materials even.. people who don't or can't quilt...... want it for free . I sell some quilts but it is hardly worth it ;( I do it mostly to cover my costs and for friends of friends.. but if you could find a fast and easy way maybe.. I know the one I did for Peyton took a while !!