Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Have you tried to make a Soup Bowl Cozy? >

Have you tried to make a Soup Bowl Cozy?

Have you tried to make a Soup Bowl Cozy?

Old 01-04-2022, 08:46 AM

I've made lots of these & given them as gifts to co-workers, as house warming gifts, birthdays, weddings, etc. People really seem to enjoy getting them. I use 100% cotton for the entire thing from the fabric, to the batting, to the thread. I put mine in the microwave for no longer than 1 minute at a time & have never had a burn issue.
Old 01-04-2022, 11:05 AM
Power Poster

A high wattage microwave will heat liquid too hot to drink or eat in about a minute. It's surprising how many have no idea what the wattage of the microwave they are using. If put in a high wattage one for two - three minutes most anything will be scorching. I think that is why some have had caught on fire.
Old 01-05-2022, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by aashley333 View Post
I microwave for 30 seconds at a time to reheat, and I've never started a fire! I know it is all cotton. I made a pair that complement each other, and the other photo shows the spiral quilting in the bottom of one cozie, which added stability. I found that my round casserole dish also fits!
Thanks for sharing your photos ....all so lovely. What size square did you use to fit the casserole size?
Old 04-14-2022, 11:39 AM

I've started all cotton hot pads on fire in my microwave!
Old 04-14-2022, 12:15 PM

Thank you for posting the tutorial. My cousin made me one years ago and I have always wanted to search down a pattern but never took the time. Now I can make a much needed replacement.
Old 04-14-2022, 01:16 PM

I always put mine in the microwave, as long as it isn't in there too long, it will be fine.
Old 04-14-2022, 02:31 PM

I showed what I do a while back on here but I start in the middle of the bottom and go around in a circle starting in the middle and go out about 1/3 of an inch between the lines of the circle and it stalelizes ist so it keeps it shape.
Old 04-14-2022, 02:35 PM

I have made them and they look just like yours. I love them. I do not put mine in the microwave either.
Old 04-14-2022, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by juliasb View Post
They are so easy to make! I have used a standard pattern and cut them out as well as used the Blue Wren Die with my Accuquilt. I have made dozens of them. They are a big hit for shower prizes, Holiday gifts and so many other special days. We use them at home all the time. They are also great to use with Ice Cream.

I made a couple as samples for the kids in my class at school. They took maybe an hour. We gave away our microwave so I gave away the soup bowl carriers. I never thought to use them as ice cream bowl insulators! Now I have a reason to make more.