Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Hawaiian quilt "in the works"

What a beautiful quilt! I have not gotten brave enough to try a Hawaiian quilt yet, though I admire those who do. Thanks for sharing :)

Oh so beautiful!

WOW!!!!! Its beautiful!

Thank you one and all! Give Hawaiian-style quilting a try sometime, I think you'll like it! :D

Blog Entries
    I'm just sitting here, staring at this lovely quilt trying to keep my mouth closed, and remindng myself St Patrick's day has passed, so green (with envy at your talent and perseverence), would not be a good color for me to be!

WOW!!!!!

The only thing I have to say about this quilt is.....

WOW!!!!

sue

I just came home from Hawaii and saw many Hawaiian quilts. BEAUTIFUL!!!!! Are there any books you know of that would have EASY instructions to follow?

Check out www.quiltshawaii.com if you want to see how easy it is to make a Hawaiian quilt. Elizabeth Root's directions are very easy to follow; she guides you from start to finish. Her books are also a delight, and I would recommend any of them :D

beautiful quilt. I have a queen size that may or may not get done! I've done many pillow size and 1 keiki size. Now working on another keiki size for my son-when he has a child. trying to get ahead of him! :lol:

Absolutely gorgeous and your work is excellent.

Leslee...That is beautiful! A real treasure, and your stitching is as well. Love it.

That is tre' georgeous, words fail to describe it. What a beautiful work

You go Girl! that is absolutely ....beyond words.....thank you for showing us

Quote Originally Posted by Yvonne
    I'm in big trouble now! I shared your quilt picture with my daughter. Should have known better. "Mama, I want one too!" Ha!
    Sounds like a great Birthday present.. The quiltmaking book and some needles that is. I am sure your daughter will appreciate her new hobby.

tim in san jose

Blog Entries
    All right Tim! Bring on another quilter and teach them how much time and love goes into one.

That is SO LOVELY!!!! :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter
    I'm in big trouble now! I shared your quilt picture with my daughter. Should have known better. "Mama, I want one too!" Ha!
    Sounds like a great Birthday present.. The quiltmaking book and some needles that is. I am sure your daughter will appreciate her new hobby.

tim in san jose

Tim, that is such a thoughtful gift but I doubt the idea would fly. This particular daughter is an army wife raising three boys. She's just a tad busy at the moment! In twenty years she should be about ready to make her own Hawaiian quilt. I do agree that if she wants one she should have the joy of making it. It'd mean so much more to her. (She did make her niece a quilt so I think we can say she is a quilter!)

OK Leslee - here's a link for your entry form to the Road to California quilt show... http://www.road2ca.com/2008ContestEntry.pdf :mrgreen:

I'll be looking to see it hanging next January.....

sue

did you design this yourself or buy it. I haven't been able to find free patterns.

This particular quilt was made to honor the memory of a dear friend. Most all Hawaiian-style quilts have stories in the patterns, and this one shows the things he loved. He raised orchids, so I gave him lots of flowers, vines and leaves. I enjoyed the quiet time of remembering him while the quilt was sewn together.

You can find pre-designed patterns at sites like www.quiltshawaii.com or www.poakalani.com

Remember folding paper snowflakes as a child? It's that simple. Both sites will show you how.

Leslee, There just aren't words to express how impressed I am with your wonderful quilting. Everytime I see it I'm blown away.

What a beautiful heirloom you are creating!

Keep stitching!!!
    Amen to that. It really is amazing!

Awesome!!

lin
    Your work is absolutely gorgeous Leslee! Your hand stitching is amazing. :)

:( I am sooooo sad. there is no way I could attempt to do something like that. Are you hand quilting? did you make the patteern by cutting paper or frezzr paper? my friend cut some frezzer paper and iron it on to cut pattern

I do everything by hand except the binding, so I thought I was more than slightly crazy to take on a project this size! Why not try a pillow-sized pattern, or wall hanging? Much less work and they make good take-along sewing projects.

I make my master pattern from paper, then trace it onto the non-shiny side of freezer paper. I don't do the full pattern, just the wedge shape that gets ironed to the folded fabric. Pins still come in handy to keep the layers from shifting, but I like the way the freezer paper clings to the top layer of fabric. Cotton fabric appliques the best and doesn't shred as much at the edges as blends often do.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast