Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Hawaiian quilt "in the works"

Your quilt is a masterpiece. I visited Hawaii a couple of years ago and picked up books, etc., but have not started on it. Now I'm inspired!
    I have a question--did you hand applique the design or machine applique? I hope it was machine.

Nope, m'dear Fish--the entire quilt was needle-turn applique! I didn't have a machine at the time, but now that I do I doubt I'd machine stitch anything that size anyway. Did you find some good instructional books in Hawaii? I hope you'll give this style of quilting a try and show us some pictures when you do. :D

I am a new member here & just wanted you to know what a beautiful work of art this is. I am so in awe of your work on this quilt.

I purchased a Hawaiian pattern(Breadfruit) to attempt one. I am a hand quilter & needleturn appliquer.

I have no idea where to buy fabric nor even what kind to use. It will be a true learning curve.

I think this quilt is beautiful beyond belief. Excellant job! Thank you for the sharing! Lady T

I work with Leslee, and the frightening thing is the pictures donít do her work justice. I canít think of the last time when I didnít see her working on something during breaks or lunchtime. She currently has taken on the chore of teaching me the art of quilt making (big job since I Ďm a beginner). The quilt Iím doing is very crude by comparison, but with her help Iíve avoided many pitfalls and itís turning out a success. I often wonder if Iíll ever be able to do such work as the Hawaiian quilting; with her help Iím sure what ever I do learn will be a great experience at the very least. I feel truly fortunate to have her as a friend and mentor.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I work with Leslee, and the frightening thing is the pictures donít do her work justice. I canít think of the last time when I didnít see her working on something during breaks or lunchtime. She currently has taken on the chore of teaching me the art of quilt making (big job since I Ďm a beginner). The quilt Iím doing is very crude by comparison, but with her help Iíve avoided many pitfalls and itís turning out a success. I often wonder if Iíll ever be able to do such work as the Hawaiian quilting; with her help Iím sure what ever I do learn will be a great experience at the very least. I feel truly fortunate to have her as a friend and mentor.
    Dude!

Welcome.

It's great group of women, they even tell me womenfolk secrets. *L* Or lie about it, I'll never know.

I don't do any hand quilting, but I do sit and admire anyone who can quilt Hawaiian. Makes me think of mellow rum drinks, sunsets of Maui, and Ukalalies.

I am a beginner, just started sewing last September, but it gets in your blood. An art form waitng for our unique perspective.

tim in san jose

That is beautiful. Where ever do you get the patience? This is all hand quilted, right? I have severe arthritis so hand quilting is out for me. You go girl!
    Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    She currently has taken on the chore of teaching me the art of quilt making (big job since I Ďm a beginner). The quilt Iím doing is very crude by comparison, but with her help Iíve avoided many pitfalls and itís turning out a success. I often wonder if Iíll ever be able to do such work as the Hawaiian quilting; with her help Iím sure what ever I do learn will be a great experience at the very least. I feel truly fortunate to have her as a friend and mentor.
    Steve,
    Welcome to the group! I know Tim will be glad to have another man here to help him try to keep up with the rest of us. :lol: Leslee mentioned you were beginning to quilt. We're anxious to see projects here... like the one by your name! Is that your first quilt. It looks great to me. Post a bigger picture please.
    You've got a great mentor. Leslee has shown us some pretty fantastic stuff! Enjoy the world of quilts!
    Yvonne

Awww, shucks...all of you and your compliments! You're a great bunch of friends, you truly are.

steve, your truly blessed to have leslee as your teacher. great work leslee.

Steve what a nice thing to say about someone! You work with a pretty fantastic lady :!:

I call 'em like I see 'em. She's both talented and giving. If another didnít take me in the heart, I'd have chased her around the block (before she was hitched). Her friendship makes work bearable and the playground fun!

Leslie, that is absolutely beautiful... I am also new at quilting and my next project is to do one of these, but at a smaller scale... Which I was as lucky as Steve and had a mentor/teacher like you, very jealous... Please keep the pictures coming, great for us beginners... :)

Wow!! Simply gorgeous. Your quilting is so even. Are you done yet ? :lol:

Gorgeous!!! :)

Hopeing my newly started wall hanging will be 1/2 that beautiful. If all goes well I do want to do a bed quilt. Taking a hawaiian quilting class in Washington tomorrow.

Blog Entries
    Leslee, you have done a fabulous job on that Hawaiian applique'.

Several months ago, I finished the wallhanging that is my avatar and have begun a new one that will be about 42" square.

I have many books on the subject and had an awful time trying to learn. Instead, I purchased a DVD by Nancy Chong that shows how to do it from start to finish. She was here several years ago for the annual Quilt Expo and had done a quick demo. Her DVD can be ordered from her website: www.prqc.com. I highly recommend it.

That's a breathtaking quilt. Well done!!

I am learning to to the hawaiian quilting. Right now just working on a pillow, but I can't figure out how you cut one big applique pce for a queen size. Do you cut in pieces?
    Aloha Tammie

ooh la la! very pretty!

Oh, wow, you have more patience than me! It looks like you have all the applique done and are working on the quilting- it is just beautiful!!!!

Gorgeous!

How beautiful!

Oh yummy! That is very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Leslee
    My current work in progress, pins and all!
    It is beautiful...love it.. :thumbup:

It's beautiful!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast