Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Help with border ideas? >

Help with border ideas?

Help with border ideas?

Old 03-06-2011, 06:48 PM

I tried to figure out this ' stained glass' pattern, but the last section did not make any sense.. it ended up being not even remotely right ( or easy ) for me to understand.. So , being frustrated, I just chopped the last section in half, * shame on me * , and resewed that to the top half.. Heres my dilemna, now, how should I finish the outer border by these 3 dimensional flying Geese? I had them already sewn, months ago when I saw Ricky Tim's tute on making them.. they were mindless, and fun, and used up some of my scraps as you can tell.. i just dont know how to finish.. any help would be welcome to contemplate if you can...
Attached Thumbnails attachment-142147.jpe  
Old 03-06-2011, 06:51 PM

It looks good as it is
Old 03-06-2011, 06:54 PM

I like it the way you have it. I notice your flying geese aren't sewn together yet so by the time you do all the 1/4 inch seams what you have layed out isn't going to fit the border, may need more to come out right. You could also see how it looks with a narrow black board on each side of the flying geese and then bind it in black. This would continue the stain glass look out further.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by quiltlady
I like it the way you have it. I notice your flying geese aren't sewn together yet so by the time you do all the 1/4 inch seams what you have layed out isn't going to fit the border, may need more to come out right. You could also see how it looks with a narrow black board on each side of the flying geese and then bind it in black. This would continue the stain glass look out further.
I wanted to see what the geese would look like.. i do have more made that I will use.. I am not that good at the end borders yet, so never self assured.. Thanks for ideas with the black.ect..
Old 03-06-2011, 07:13 PM

I don't know why you need to add anything else. I think I would just leave it as is and quilt and bind it. It's very nice the way it is.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:28 PM

looks great the way you have it.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:32 PM

IMHO, a dark colored wide binding would look nice!
Old 03-06-2011, 07:58 PM
RST

I'll be honest with you -- I think the squares and rectangles set off with black are one quilt, the flying geese belong in a different quilt. They are both nice, but they aren't doing much to complement each other. I think that your hesitation on how to finish this quilt comes from a recognition of that.

Can you just increase the number of "stained glass" blocks to make up the size you want? I think it's best set off with just a black border -- I'd lose the mustardy yellow border.

The flying geese can make a really lovely quilt or wall hanging, in any number of configurations, but again, I think a black on black or solid black is going to make them shine.

RST
Old 03-06-2011, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by quilttiludrop
IMHO, a dark colored wide binding would look nice!
A wide binding may cut off the ends of the flying geese
Old 03-06-2011, 09:06 PM

i don't think the geese compliment the middle which looks great---my suggestion would be for a border of rectangles in colours [like the middle]with blackstrips [lead light look]