Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Help---I need a hug!!!!! >

Help---I need a hug!!!!!

Help---I need a hug!!!!!

Old 09-28-2010, 09:34 AM

My goodness I feel realy emotional now and do love you all,so will stop beating myself up and get on with it.

Thank you all again so much
Old 09-28-2010, 09:36 AM

Consider yourself hugged. It may not be your sewing she may have cut them differently. But it doesn't really matter because it was made with love by both of you. It is beautiful.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:50 AM

Life isn't perfect and a quilt shouldn't be perfect since it represents a part of life.
Your quilt is beautiful!
Old 09-28-2010, 09:58 AM
mac

Campion,

BIG HUGS to you.

I love your colors, they are so cheery. This is really a beautiful quilt.

I do understand how you want your quilt to turn out as perfectly as possible because I am like that, too. Someone told me once, when I was complaining about mismatched seams and that the quilt was taking forever to finish, that 'done was better than perfect'. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that she was right.

Once you finish sewing the quilt and you quilt it, a lot of those mismatched seams just blend into the quilt - never to be seen again. Furthermore, the recipient of the quilt will love it and will know that you put love into it while you were making it just for her. Quilts just exude love, don't you think?

But, as I said I can relate. I once made a stars and stripes quilt for my father-in-law who was in the Navy. As usual, I fussed over the quilt and didn't quite give myself enough time to do more stipple quilting on the quilt before I had to catch a train to Idaho. I finished binding it on the train, unfortunately, the end result were wavy sides. I was so horrified and embarrassed, but it was his Christmas present and we actually arrived on Christmas, with no way of me being able to fix the problems. [Plus, my mother-in-law doesn't have a sewing machine.]

He loved the quilt. After he passed away a few years later, I asked my mother-in-law if I could have the quilt back and she said "NO" because it was one of the things he cherished and she felt it was a part of him now. She said it did't matter to him that I thought it was quilted wrong, it mattered to him because I put all the time and effort into making it just for him and he loved it.

I never got a chance to fix it, but seeing my MIL use it and feeling close to my FIL, makes it all better. We just don't have to be perfect to be loved.

Hope this helps.
mac
Old 09-28-2010, 10:01 AM

I can't believe the love that comes from this board---MAC--that is so lovely and just how I feel,thank you
Old 09-28-2010, 10:06 AM

First Off here is a hug! Everyone is their own worst critic. That quilt is stunning. The colors are so bright and beautiful. I would continue on as other have said and not give it a second thought. Finished is always better than perfect!

And since noone else has stopped to ask. What pattern is that??? It is gourgeous!

Sheila
Old 09-28-2010, 10:08 AM

I don't think your niece will ever notice. You've done a good job on it. Don't be so critical of your work.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:20 AM
bj

Sometimes the quilting will disguise small booboos. I think it looks awesome and your niece will only see the love that went into finishing it. Since it was started by her mom, she will love it even more.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:25 AM

When viewed as a whole the miss-matched intersections aren't as noticeable. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:39 AM

First off, ((((((BIG HUGS)))))), it is so difficult to watch someone you love with dementia. Secondly, my mom only finished one and a half quilts before she passed away partly because she was such a perfectionist. Also partly because she had so many going at once. She left behind 10 or 11 quilts in varying sizes and in various stages of completion. I would be so thrilled to have someone complete one for me that no missed seam or point would matter in the least. To wrap myself in one of her quilts, finished by someone who also loved her, would be like having her arms around me again.