Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Help - needs repair >
  • Help - needs repair

• Help - needs repair

Old 01-18-2011, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by momymom
    Before you do anything to this quilt, make yourself a reproduction of it. Exact scale. You will have the new quilt to remember your ggm with. I'm against cutting up an old quilt. You could find a museum to donate it to and preserve for future generations.
    I had this idea myself. There is no part on the top without some damage. The back seems pretty much intact. It is machine pieced and hand quilted. A do-able. Strange thing to me is I just started two with similar patterns but much larger pieces.
    I thought of encasing the entire thing in nylon netting to hold it together.

BTW I have 3 more made by the same GGG in various stages of disrepair.

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions. I truly appreciate you all so much.
    Old 01-18-2011, 07:45 PM

After reading this thread through, I really think your best options are to re-create this quilt in similar fabrics for you and future family to enjoy and either fold and store your antique quilt as is or cut it up and display the best parts in a shadow box of glassed in frame. This poor quilt has literally been loved to death but it is still charming and is part of your family history. As a side note, I noticed Cavmom's tri-colour Cavalier. My avatar Molly and she would make a good pair.
    Old 01-18-2011, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by clem55
    It is so pretty. I'd think it was best to just save the largest good pieces you can, frame and use as wall decor. Use smaller pieces for other things.
    My opinion also, I've seen a lot of different things made from old quilts using damaged blocks and that is a part of the charm. That is a beautiful quilt, that's how I want mine to end up-loved and used.
    Old 01-18-2011, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    Most museums with the ability to store a quilt in proper conditions will not take one in this condition. And most small local museums don't have the ability to keep it in such a way as to prevent further damage, unfortunately.

The idea to recreate it is a perfect one! The reproduction fabrics would be easy to locate and there are good quality muslins now that will take the wear for the background.

Make a memory box/shadow box in frame with pieces of the old quilt, photos of your GGM, the new fabrics, and photos of you remaking it to hang in the room where it will be used.

Jan in VA
    Very good ideas. Such a lovely quilt. It must be saved somehow.
    Old 01-18-2011, 09:04 PM
    Power Poster

What a beautiful quilt!!! Is there any way you could fold and display it?? What a treasure :)
    Old 01-19-2011, 02:51 AM

I have a curio cabinet in my living room, one of those cherry finish with the curved bow front. On the bottom shelf I have strategically folded a star quilt my grandmother made in the 1920s. It has one or two blocks that are still stable. The rest are beyond repair. Now I can see the quilt daily and salvage what is left. This glass curio cabinet would actually hold 6 folded bed quilts.
    Old 01-19-2011, 05:35 PM

It is a lovely quilt. As it has survived 100 yrs that is in itself a fantastic achievement! A pity it is showing its age now. I have only ever handled a quilt dating back to 1815 and it too was ageing. It was an honour for me to be able to touch a quilt that old!

I agree with the comments before that you should try and save what is not damaged and frame it up and preserve it for as long as possible. Perhaps there is someone who can advise what is the best way to preserve it.
    Old 01-19-2011, 05:37 PM

I would take small sections, frame them, then share them with the family, what a treasure.