Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Help!

A masterpiece. What a beautiful quilt. It will be treasured, I'm sure. No wonder it took so long to do. You did a great job.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!

Beautiful

Blog Entries
    That is beautiful!

I would do some echo quilting around the cross stitch figures. Maybe some wonky hearts in the light corner stones with a varigated lavender/purple thread. And use your dark purple of the backing for the binding. Add some borders as per Jo M depending on what finished size you desire. Great work.

Power Poster
    I WOULD STITCH IN DITCH IT IS BEAUTIFUL LUCKY GRANDDAUGHTER

Adorable quilt, you did such a nice job on it, she's going to love and cherish it!

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    Lovely!

I can't imagine all the work that went into this one. Absolutely beautiful!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Maride
    Ellen Maurer-Stroh is my favorite cross stitch designer. Her work is amazing and you have done justice to her design. I once quilted a group project with cross stitch designs just like yours. If you quilt only the sashing, the cross stitch may pop out more than you wish. I did a medium size meandering allover with a neutral color, just going slightly over the cross stitched areas to tame then down. Cross stitch is beautiful but when used in a quilt it takes a life on it own and is up to you to keep it under control. You can also do some echo quilting around the animal babies, or while keeping it well held, maybe by basting spray you can do straight lines around it. Start with a stitch in the ditch and move in with lines about 1/2 inch apart. Do maybe two or three lines in. You can then quilt the sashing any way you want.
    I agree, love the quilt.......

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dogles
    How do I go about quilting this project? I made this for my granddaughter. It has taken about 4 years to do all the cross stitch. To say the least she is now ready for grandma to finish but I am not sure how to go about it. I have a dark purple piece of fabric to back it with. I would like to bring some of the dark around to the front. Please help me.
    I think I would do Echoing around the cross stitch pictures, and a crosshatch or a very simple swirl in the sashings. IMHO I think if you did the meandering over the whole quilt then it may take away from the cross stitching It is an absolutely beautiful quilt and I'm sure whatever you do will only enhance it.

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99
    Beautiful!

Because it is hand cross-stitch, I would want to hand quilt it. Would outline quilt around each cross-stitch picture about 1/4-inch away; also 1/4" away from each border. Maybe cross-hatch quilt the background in each square.
    Hand or machine quilting would be ok, but I definitely agree with the rest of this response. You won't be happy if you don't quilt within the block and the 1/4 inch outline stitch around the pictures and then cross hatch or stipple or meander in the rest of the white area. Don't forget first to stitch in the ditch all sides of the borders horizontally and vertically for stabilizing the quilt. This is a gorgeous quilt and I wish you luck finishing this heirloom quilt.

I made a similar quilt top with pieces that a friend had cross stitched for her daughter. When I quilted it - by hand - I did a line of stitches around the stitched block edges and then down the center of the sashing. Worked wonderfully and I did not disturb any of the cross stitching.

Beautiful work - I am sure that she will cherish it forever.

that is gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    EHCO quilting to accent the beautiful work.
    That is fabulous.
    Stippling is to common for such a beautiful work.

I forgot how to add a picture, but if this works, here is a picture of a machine embroidered wall hanging with embroidery outlined and then stippled around. Hope this works
    Attached Images Attached Images

DJ
    I don't have any advice for you, but the quilt is beautiful! Cross stitch does take a long time!

:D Beautiful quilt :D

I was asking if it was aida because it can fray badly.

you may want to treat the cut edges of the aida, or quilt OVER the seams to help secure it. is their anyway it could be profestionaly quilted?

the cross stitch is wonderful! you are so good with a needle already, it shouldnt be a far jump to try hand quilting.

good luck! ;)

community benefactor stitchofclass2's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Your quilt is stunning and counted crosstitch too. I am so impressed.

I am not a veteran quilter but I made some quilts for my grandchildren and in the center block I painted Precious Moments pictures. When machine quilting I did the "echo" around the pictures and wherever possible, i.e. the sleeves, apron etc, I quilted in the picture. Just do enough to hold your batting and enhance the picture (what you want to puff out). I would do a sample first before tackling the whole project it is so beautiful.

Blog Entries
    Surely echoing won't show on aida? isnt it quite stiff?

I'd just nail the crossstitch panels down with simple stitches (cross stitches even- through all the layers) spaced fairly far apart, and just stitch close to the seams on the borders- keep it simple- it is a heavenly piece- well done!

Beautiful quilt! I love the cross-stitch designs. I have them saved and want to start stitching them soon. I hadn't thought of using them for a quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie
    Surely echoing won't show on aida? isnt it quite stiff?

I'd just nail the crossstitch panels down with simple stitches (cross stitches even- through all the layers) spaced fairly far apart, and just stitch close to the seams on the borders- keep it simple- it is a heavenly piece- well done!
    Aida is very stiff so you can stitch easy, but after a few washes it soften. It does fray a lot, and this is why the quilting mus be a little heavy around the seams areas.

pab

Blog Entries
    This is an awsome quilt and I love,love your colors and the cross stitching.I would keep things simple and try a sample square before you do the whole quilt.It is just beautiful and you have one lucky grandaughter....good luck whatever you choose.........pab

Very beautiful! Can't help with suggestions tho! I love it just like it is now!

Blog Entries
    ditto they r too beautiful to make any distractions Good Luck... Looking forward to seeing the finished quilting, whatever you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by franie
    I would quilt the sashing and borders not the blocks. You could echo around the embroidery but I would jus tleave them. I would not heavily quilt as it will take away from those beautiful blocks.

my word it is beautiful. lots of work. nice, very nice

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast