Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Hidden Wedding Date >

Hidden Wedding Date

Hidden Wedding Date

Old 06-30-2018, 03:02 PM

Default Hidden Wedding Date

A few weeks ago, a friend/coworker mentioned her brother was getting married in China in July and after the wedding he and his bride would be moving back to the states. My friend and her husband, along with other family members from the states are getting a trip to China to be a part of the wedding. She is super excited and mentioned during telling us all about it that she needed a really cool gift to give to them. Something different but she didn’t know what. And without thinking ahead I opened my mouth and said “how about a quilt? I’d be happy to help you make one.” She loved the idea and together we came up with this pattern. I pulled out my batiks, got to cutting and sewing and she came over and laid out the colors where she wanted them. Together it has taken us about 3 weeks to get this far. Because I like to make my quilts personal in some way or another, the hidden wedding date was formed. It’s not the first time I have done this for a wedding quilt but it can pose a challenge depending on the date sometimes. It’s hard to see in this picture but there are three different reds in the sashings that represent their wedding date of 7/21/18. The two greens w/hearts in the print near the center represent their two kids and the white center to represent the unity of everything coming together. Tomorrow my friend is coming over to stipple quilt (we wanted something simple and fast) it under my supervision. She excited to learn this process and that she will get to try out my machine, although she isn’t a sewer. We will finish it with a red back & binding. She chose red for love and also because it happens to be her brothers favorite color.

This has been a quick, fun, fast (pattern) quilt and I since I have some swap blocks in this same pattern, I will probably make myself a sister quilt to this one...just not in reds. But first I have to finish my hand quilting project. Thanks for stopping by to take a peek and happy quilting.

Last edited by fatsewcat; 10-05-2022 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-30-2018, 03:05 PM
Power Poster

What a cheery looking quilt!
Old 06-30-2018, 03:28 PM
Power Poster

Very cheery looking and so beautiful too.
Old 06-30-2018, 03:32 PM

What a great gift! It sounds like the two of you have worked together very well on this.
Old 06-30-2018, 03:34 PM
Power Poster

​Great top!
Old 06-30-2018, 03:41 PM

Beautiful! I love the hidden message, but I confess, I don't quite understand. I see the green with the hearts (so cute, by the way) and I can see that there are different shades of red. I don't understand the correlation to the numbers in the date. What am I missing?
Old 06-30-2018, 03:54 PM

Wonderful gift, beautiful quilt and fabulous friend for being willing to embark on this project with her!
Old 06-30-2018, 04:03 PM

Beautiful! So glad you were able to work on it together with your friend.
Old 06-30-2018, 04:09 PM

How very kind of you to make the original offer--and the qualifier--that your friend take responsibility for much of the work. I think your efforts will spawn another quilter! Kudos!!
Old 06-30-2018, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Monika View Post
Beautiful! I love the hidden message, but I confess, I don't quite understand. I see the green with the hearts (so cute, by the way) and I can see that there are different shades of red. I don't understand the correlation to the numbers in the date. What am I missing?
The are 7 of one red print / 21 of another red print and 18 of a third red print. it’s very obvious in person that there are three different reds but unless you count them and make the connection, they just look like red squares.