Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Home throw pillow cover >

Home throw pillow cover

Home throw pillow cover

Old 01-25-2024, 10:01 PM

Default Home throw pillow cover

Hello, I have been wanting to make this throw pillow cover, so today was the day! My sister is going home soon and I wanted to make her this, before she goes. I just don’t have a pillow form, so I will either have to make a pillow myself or she will have to pick up one herself. I pieced little scraps of fabric and thought I had figured that the blue pieces would be under the red heart. Well that didn’t work out-lol

I ironed Heat & Bond the reverse shape of the state to the back of the fabric, then trimmed out the shape. After pressing the state onto the white 18 inch square, I stitched all around the outer edge with a straight stitch before sewing a really close black zigzag satin stitch. The heart I appliquéd by embroidery machine and also the word home.
I quilted a close stipple on the back gingham and also on the white on the front piece, after sewing an outline stitch around the state, so it would kinda puff up. I then trimmed my front and back both 18.25 inches.
My zipper wasn’t long enough, so I had to piece one end with fabric and I should have used black instead of the gingham. It’s on the bottom so I may leave it in case she comes tomorrow.
So I know now I can do this, I think I’ll make my granddaughter one for her birthday in March. I am pleased, but I wish I would have had pretty fabric scraps like the lady showing hers. I put a piece with ladybugs bc my sister likes them. I also sneaked in a tractor ( almost lost it in the seams), bc she also drove the tractor in the field, when it was harvest time. She was nine years old, so I was five. I wanted to put a cow piece in bc we both milked cows, when I was a little older, but my cow was a kid’s fabric cow and I didn’t think it would look good. Anyway this is for my sister, just because.
Hope you like it. I think she will. Wishing you all a good night, for me anyway, or a good day, whatever the case may be. Toogie
Attached Thumbnails img_2037.jpeg   img_2038.jpeg  
Old 01-26-2024, 04:53 AM

Nicely done and I'm sure she will look at it and have fond memories of the things from your childhoods too. Louisiana isn't it?
Old 01-26-2024, 05:14 AM

That's a great pillow, Toogie! You're so creative and always doing nice things for others.
Old 01-26-2024, 05:20 AM

Yes it is. The picture I showed her was of Louisiana and she liked it, but I could have made Arkansas or Missouri, as she currently has homes, in all three states.-lol We joke with her when she leaves and says she going home, we always ask, which one? -lol- thanks I tried to make it special.
Old 01-26-2024, 06:18 AM

What a thoughtful and memory piece.
Old 01-26-2024, 06:54 AM

I'm a Louisiana born girl that got transplanted to Texas 51 years ago. Cajun is still in my blood though!
Old 01-26-2024, 06:57 AM

pillow forms have gotten so expensive even at Walmart so I stop at my locak thrift store and get them there. I kkep a tape measure in my purse at all times for issues like this. I'll either put the pillow thru the washer and dryer or just threw the dryer to kill anything that might be crawling inside it. You never know where it came from. So it doesn't matter what's on the pillow but I try not to pick up one with fringe or piping if I can help it.
Old 01-26-2024, 08:19 AM

What an adorable gift idea for anyone, but your sister will be touched you thought of her.
Old 01-26-2024, 02:35 PM

What an absolute fab way to use up small pieces. Looks great!!!
Old 01-26-2024, 05:22 PM

That is so nice. I am making pillows from an old quilt for my siblings. As 2 live in other states, I will have them purchase their own pillow forms so the covers can travel in suitcases