Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
"Home Is Where The Heart Is" at show >

"Home Is Where The Heart Is" at show

"Home Is Where The Heart Is" at show

Old 09-20-2016, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by JENNR8R View Post
Thank you 'ube quilting' for posting this!

I was able to speak with one of the judges at the show. (I knew this vendor was a judge. She gave me a Judge's Choice ribbon for my Maypole Dance quilt last year.) She graciously let me know why this quilt did not deserve a ribbon and even took me to the Best of Show quilt to point out what the judges liked about it. Really invaluable information!

It's funny... the things that I thought I would be judged off for she didn't even notice! The main reason it did not get a ribbon is because the "ghost" trees and houses on the outside of the heart were not filled with trapunto. She suggested adding "colored" batting to these areas after I get it back. I don't know about colored batting. I want the center to be the focal point. But maybe I'll try adding white yarn to these areas and see if it will ribbon in the next show.

I'm really proud that this quilt was juried into the show, but have to admit that I am disappointed with no ribbon. It is completely understandable if you saw all of the beautiful quilts it was competing against that did not get a ribbon either.
Being from a very small town in a county with a small population, I have not been exposed to a lot of judged shows, but have assisted judges at the county fair, and do know all the judges through sewing and quilting groups I am a part of. It did not take long for me to realize the "judges comments" were personal opinions, not from some judging book. I've heard "Yellow, I hate yellow!" and saw a quilt made by the best quilter on this side of the state judged down because the judge did not like the multi-colors in the thread of the machine quilting.

As long as you did what you set out to do with this beautiful quilt, I say you won first place, and if someone wants the houses done differently, they should make their own. I've met many quilters who refuse to ever enter another quilt in a show because of the thoughtless comments written out and attached to their labor of love.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:00 AM
Power Poster

Very nice job!!!!
Old 09-20-2016, 03:06 PM
Power Poster

Beautiful!
Old 09-20-2016, 03:07 PM
nls

Beautiful quilting!
Old 09-20-2016, 04:25 PM

Nice quilt.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:14 PM

Wow is right just gorgeous!
Old 09-21-2016, 04:01 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by JENNR8R View Post
Thank you 'ube quilting' for posting this!

I was able to speak with one of the judges at the show. (I knew this vendor was a judge. She gave me a Judge's Choice ribbon for my Maypole Dance quilt last year.) She graciously let me know why this quilt did not deserve a ribbon and even took me to the Best of Show quilt to point out what the judges liked about it. Really invaluable information!

It's funny... the things that I thought I would be judged off for she didn't even notice! The main reason it did not get a ribbon is because the "ghost" trees and houses on the outside of the heart were not filled with trapunto. She suggested adding "colored" batting to these areas after I get it back. I don't know about colored batting. I want the center to be the focal point. But maybe I'll try adding white yarn to these areas and see if it will ribbon in the next show.

I'm really proud that this quilt was juried into the show, but have to admit that I am disappointed with no ribbon. It is completely understandable if you saw all of the beautiful quilts it was competing against that did not get a ribbon either.
Which is exactly the reason I personally have never enter judged shows. It offends me that quilters/artists can be so hurt by the 'erratic' (as in just-their-own-opinion) "judging" at so many of these shows: I feel for them. And it also seems to me that judging is widely affected by fads more than technical skills. I came into this strong feeling back in the very early 90s when "Mother Earth/spirit woman/feminism/bash-the-establishment" and especially snake symbols started showing up in artsy quilts at Houston and seemed, the more gaudy they were, to win awards. "What's up with that"??

Yeah, I get that not all judges fit this description; thankfully. But, too many do it seems.

Jan in VA
Old 09-21-2016, 04:13 AM

Beautifully done! Oh my.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:28 AM

Beautifully done and the quilting is gorgeous.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:52 AM

Your quilt is beautiful! This is the first house quilt that I have ever wanted to make. Your quilting is gorgeous.