Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do I know when it's done?

How do I know when it's done?

I got excited about making this quilt because of the bright print. The print squares are 8" finished, and I used a high loft poly batting that I found in the closet. I am thinking the 8" blocks are too large to leave unquilted, but the loft is so high, and it's otherwise finished. The black (front and back) is solid black fabric that was supposed to be 100% cotton, which I washed as soon as I got it home, but it sure handled like a poly blend. . .this may not be a long-lived quilt. What do you think about this expanse of poly?
    Attached Images Attached Images

How about just tying it? Or adding buttons as ties?

I've found the poly blends to hold up very well. Why do you think it wouldn't? The poly blend solid I used for sashing on the first quilt I ever worked on held up to approximately 30 years of constant use (except during the summer, of course) without any sign of wear and tear. Probably would still be in use except the focus squares were embroidered and crayoned muslin state flower squares my mom and her sister had done in the 30s that finally just wore out. I had put it and the GFG we got as a wedding gift (which was also very worn around the edges) on a quilt stand for display in the 90s. All was ruined when our house burned in 2000.
    legendarycandles.com
    Just discovered I qualify for FABLE (Fabric Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

Blog Entries
    poly blends tend to wear very well-last a long time-
    you should check the packaging and see what the quilting recommendations are- it is important to quilt as the batting suggests- some batts allow up to 10" between quilting lines & state are good for tied quilts- other batts need to be quilted every 2"-4"...often high loft batts allow less quilting. your quilt is lovely and as long as it is quilted or tied to the recommendation there is no reason to not think it will be around for a long-long time
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Quote Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
    I've found the poly blends to hold up very well. Why do you think it wouldn't? The poly blend solid I used for sashing on the first quilt I ever worked on held up to approximately 30 years of constant use (except during the summer, of course) without any sign of wear and tear. Probably would still be in use except the focus squares were embroidered and crayoned muslin state flower squares my mom and her sister had done in the 30s that finally just wore out. I had put it and the GFG we got as a wedding gift (which was also very worn around the edges) on a quilt stand for display in the 90s. All was ruined when our house burned in 2000.
    I thought it wouldn't be long lasting because that is what I had read about cotton/poly blends, and also about high loft batting. Maybe I'm wrong? Happy days!

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    poly blends tend to wear very well-last a long time-
    you should check the packaging and see what the quilting recommendations are- it is important to quilt as the batting suggests- some batts allow up to 10" between quilting lines & state are good for tied quilts- other batts need to be quilted every 2"-4"...often high loft batts allow less quilting. your quilt is lovely and as long as it is quilted or tied to the recommendation there is no reason to not think it will be around for a long-long time
    This was just enough batting found in a plastic bag in the don't-go-there-in-the-dark closet. It might be fine as is. I plan to gift this as a lap quilt (for a shortish person) and maybe buttons would be fine. . or maybe an interesting tie in the middle. . I had been thinking I had to quilt in a pattern, maybe a rose-ish motif, but maybe I can get off easier.

Blog Entries
    Very pretty. I think it will be fine and last a long time.
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

Very pretty quilt.......... if you really think it need something in the large squares I think buttons would be great or you could use embroidery floss and do french not in the roses.

Blog Entries
    Wow-beautiful quilt and should last a very long time.

Really pretty!!!!!

Blog Entries
    if you are worried about not quilting enough for the batting, you could just do a couple of straight lines in the block but I would do them at angles. one tilting one direction and the other tilting across it in a bit of different direction. sort of like an off kilter plus sign. very off.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

I have used lots of high loft poly batting, in fact I would like to use nothing but that, can't always find it. I do FMQ and it works very well. Poly blends are suppose to outlast cotton.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

A bit more quilting in the 8 inch blocks? In keeping with the circle theme, you could hand-quilt perfect circles inside each square. It would really puff up with the high loft batting. One perfect circle inside each square.
    My fabric talks to me.

Blog Entries
    it's a gorgeous quilt! as previously suggested, i'd just tie it.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    very pretty.... you will know when it is done

This is beautiful! I think if it were me, I'd look for some buttons that went with the fabric (love that fabric) & tie each block in the middle with them. Just a thought...
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Gorgeous fabric!
    A dog is not "almost human" and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such.

I like the idea of babtist fans for the quilting since that's what is in the fabric. Looks beautiful!

As for the poly, the question seems to have been answered. BOY HOW I LOVE THAT PRINT. Please post another pic when it's finished.

It is gorgeous... it cries out to me for loose baptist fans in the arcs to pouf out the roses. I love that fabric.

I love, love black in a quilt. This one sings. I believe that lovely thing could use some 'bling'; charms, buttons, tied with bows, tufted with little tassels or pom-pons. It's gorgeous, oh, maybe beads. Tied or tufted with beads on the front and the ties on the back.

jme
    I have a queen size quilt my Granny made me. I have had it for 20yrs and it has been well used and washed many many times. Last year it finally started showing SOME wear in a few places, I have patched it and continue to use it. Right now it's on my bed and spends a lot of time there in the winter as well. Poly blends hold up well just don't iron them on a cotton setting LOL they melt.
    JME

Fabric makes me happy!

Pretty, pretty quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
    This is beautiful! I think if it were me, I'd look for some buttons that went with the fabric (love that fabric) & tie each block in the middle with them. Just a thought...
    Several people suggested that. It would require 10 buttons on each side, which in finding the perfect ones might cost as much as the fabric... I will revisit the quilt and see about a circle, or off-kilter lines, or whatever occurs to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenheron View Post
    I love, love black in a quilt. This one sings. I believe that lovely thing could use some 'bling'; charms, buttons, tied with bows, tufted with little tassels or pom-pons. It's gorgeous, oh, maybe beads. Tied or tufted with beads on the front and the ties on the back.
    Now that hadn't occurred to me. I do have about 6 million beads of various kinds...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast