Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
This is how I spent my snow day; how did you spend yours? >

This is how I spent my snow day; how did you spend yours?

This is how I spent my snow day; how did you spend yours?

Old 01-10-2011, 02:51 PM

Those are very nice and you gave me an idea. I make flannel receiving blankets for a local hospital in need and sometimes a solid flannel is less expensive to buy, but looks kind of plain. I can use scraps from the prints and make appliques. Why didn't I think of that?
Old 01-10-2011, 03:05 PM
Power Poster

Wow, those are great. I love the applique you did. Great job and thanks for sharing.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:09 PM

Great job! Wow, you were really busy to get that much done! Let it snow! Let it Snow! Let it Snow!!!
Old 01-10-2011, 03:15 PM

all day I have been trying to think of the word"quillow" I was going to post the question on this site. beautiful work
Old 01-10-2011, 03:21 PM

Those are so neat and pretty. Good work.

I spent my day shoveling and scooping snow and recuperating from that!!!
Old 01-10-2011, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
Originally Posted by purrfectquilts
Thanks. Sometimes I don't turn the edge. But, I have discovered children pull on the blankets, stretching the edge enough to pop the stitches, even when I use a forgiving zig zag type stitch. The other reason I turned these was to give a more pleasant feel to the edge. Don't ask me what that means... I am repeating what my grandchildren call it. They like the edges turned.

I love fleece to make their names because it doesn't ravel and it is easy to cut letters.

No serger but do have a lot of stitches on my machine that are similar ... just takes longer. Some of these were for January birthdays for grandchildren, some just to give away ... using up the fleece stash.
Oh, I understand what you mean. It gives some weight to the edge, helps it to hang better, in sewing terms. I have found my serger has paid for itself many times over for all the fleece blankets I have made. I have 2 dogs that sleep on my bed, a great dane & a rottweiler so they dirty blankets up pretty fast. So I buy 5 yards of fleece when it is on sale, put about 18" of width on each side to make a nice overhang. I serge the two seams, then serge around the edges and I have great blankets that wash and dry beautifully and are warm at night. I love fleece. You can do so much to decorate it. I have made many for my gkids too with embroidery on one corner in their favorite design. Have fun!!!
Oh yeah!! I make fleece blankets for the cat all the time. Her window seats are covered in fleece. I vaccum regularly but twice a year, just toss and make new ones. And I keep fleece covers on all the furniture in the family room. Not for the cat, but for the kids!!

Cat is not allowed in the sewing workrooms, but any place where cat or kids are ... bound to be fleece covers. They loves them and it keeps everything else clean.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:33 PM

Sounds like fun to me!
Old 01-10-2011, 03:39 PM

I live in Georgia also and since it was a snow day and I didn't have to work, I slept late, then watched the news where people were having wrecks trying to go somewhere; then I started a disappearing 4 patch. After I finish cooking supper, then I will put on a label and I am through with a baby quilt that my husband will mail tomorrow. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for another snow day; I think I am going to sandwich a quilt.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:43 PM

Snow day is license to sew all day, right? I put off all other work and just settled in. Maybe tomorrow will be another day for you and you can get the quilt sandwiched, Sandra G.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:44 PM

I forgot to say how I spent my day. We get the snow tomorrow. I worked on my WIP, the silk quilt. I have the top and batting quilted together, now comes adding the silk velvet to the back. I have a funeral to go to tomorrow so won't get to the quilt till Wed. I will post when I get done. It will be so COOL, I hope.....