Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
How I spent by Saturday - restoring a 1918 Treadle >

How I spent by Saturday - restoring a 1918 Treadle

How I spent by Saturday - restoring a 1918 Treadle

Old 07-12-2011, 07:19 AM

Were there items in the drawers and if so, did you leave them in there? What a great find. I am getting rid of my end tables and now I know what to do with my DH grandmothers old treadle.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:17 PM

Well done *big ol cheezy grin*
Old 07-15-2011, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by boysmomoflabs
Isn't it beautiful!!! I'm still grinning....so lucky!

I used Howard's Restore Finish, then the Feed & Wax. I do need to say, that isn't easy. The Restore took ALOT of elbow grease, was not easy.

I have another treadle to do yet, so dark you can't see the Tiger pattern. Can't imagine the work that's going to be required to lighten it back up.

Just doing this one, took 8.5 hrs
My treadle is pretty dark, too. Did you just keep rubbing with the Restore Finish on a rag or did you use steel wool? Did you put it on and let it sit for awhile? Sorry for all the questions but your cabinet came out so beautiful. The treadle cabinet that I have looks almost like yours but is on the darker side. I love oak wood but like mine a little lighter.

This is the cabinet, although it looks lighter in the picture. It's the cabinet on the left side of the picture--not the parlor cabinet.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]226712[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-226706.jpe  
Old 07-15-2011, 06:11 AM

That is so beautiful! I just got a 1912 white rotory treadle that I have to clean up...There are some wear spots on the top but the rest of it is in good condition..I didn't have a clue what to clean it up with! Thanks for all the info! I figure it will be my late summer/early fall job!
Old 07-15-2011, 06:26 AM

Yours do look similar! I chose not to do a full strip as I wanted to preserve the age. The second one I have yet to do, if it doesn't come off...it doesn't come of. I don't want to look like I did when I was a teenager and I can't imagine anything else my age would either.

So....everyone remember this is a learning experience and if it doesn't come out perfect...so what! You've tried, you've enjoyed and you've learned. HAVE FUN with it!!!

Take the cabinets apart. They are made wonderfully and very easy to do. For the common treadle cabinet, there are 4 large screws holding the cast iron base to the top. Once these are removed you'll need to take out the 8 screws (2 on each) hook holding the base against the drawers. The top should lift off at that point.
Set the top aside, spray liberally the cast iron base with Liquid Wrench (yellow can) let set (out of direct sun) for 1/2 or so. Use a soft bristle brush and go over the whole base. Pour water over it to remove loose bits and wipe the whole thing (every little bit) dry with a cloth. That cloth will be filthy when you're done. At this stage, if it looks good, pat yourself on the back, if you feel it needs more. Repeat process. Do not let pets walk thru the mess on the ground. Figure out a way to protect the area you are working on.
continued
Old 07-15-2011, 06:30 AM

Take apart the cabinet, lay out on working surface on top of old towels. READ the can of Howard Restore a Finish, buy the appropriate steel wool size they recommend. Buy two packages. Have q-tips, old rags, rubber gloves and well ventilated area. Take breaks.
Pour Howards onto steel wool pad, rub in direction of grain. Go over a small area, this will not be easy...this will take a lot of work, you will need to do this more than once.
Work all the parts, clean as directions state. I waited to do the Feed and Wax the next day.

YOU WILL be quite pleased with yourself once it's done!! This is the objective =)
Nothing in life that gives satisfaction comes easy.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:47 AM

Woooo....hoooo! I'm going to give it a whirl.

I was also going to look up how to take the top off of the base because I saw a couple of machine/cabinets on CL that I am interested in but the back door of my station wagon is broken so I will need to take the cabinet apart to get it in my car. Now I know how to go about it.

I certainly don't need any more cabinets or machines but one of the machines is the brown lotus (I don't have a lotus decal, yet) and the other one is a nice red eye but the cabinet is one of the real pretty ones. I am truly a sick, sick, sick person :lol:
Old 07-21-2011, 11:48 PM

Wow, you must be extremely proud. Your machine is lovely. You did a great job on restoring:) Thanks for all of the info...may get to use it someday:):):)