Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How long does it take?

How long does it take?

I decided to keep track of the time it takes to make this quilt, starting with ironing and starching the fabric. So far it's 15 1/2 hours and there are just 10 more jelly roll strip sections to sew together, cut, and pieced into 9-patches. The HSTs are done and need trimming and the colored and cream squares need to be cut. I'm wondering if I worked full-time making quilts, could I do one fairly simple quilt like this per week, including quilting it on the longarm? I think I could.

This is the quilt from this post...

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t168166.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very colorful.
    No matter how tough life is, it sure beats the alternative.

http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...26548a24e6.png

I like both. But if I were to make one I would probably choose the first one. However, if I knew how to FMQ and had a long arm I would probably go for the second one just so I could do some fancy FMQ in the white space. :-)

I'm not very good at the longarm yet so I don't think I will do anything fancy. Then again, since this is a "just because" quilt, maybe I'll try and do something special on it.

Wink

Can't wait to see the finished quilt! I vote for the solid centers for the stars.
    Last edited by Ginknee309; 11-26-2011 at 10:51 PM.
    Ginny

QM
    It looks good so far, but I hope you are sure of that already. Just because quilts are great to have. I know mine always find good homes.

Blog Entries
    no one could possibly pay us a decent wage per hour to make quilts since it takes so long. Did you include the time it took to design the quilt?
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I'm not really looking to earn an amount per hour exactly. I'm more thinking about how many simple quilts I could make in a month. I know that a fairly complicated one has taken me a month and that was after work and weekends. My employer of 18 years is in run-off and I am slated to stay on until 2016. I want to just retire then if at all possible so I have 4 years to learn how to quilt decently too.

Senior Member MomtoBostonTerriers's Avatar
    Pittsburg Pam,

If you can make one quilt in one week, you are the Energizer Bunny On A Lot Of Caffeine. But that's just me thinking of how long it takes me to do any quilting. I spend forever ironing and starching the fabric, measuring, pinning, etc. But I DO enjoy it all. Just for fun, I timed how long it took me to make a quilted Christmas stocking, and it was less time that I estimated.

Personally, I prefer your first color scheme in the photo.