Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
How Much To Ask? >

How Much To Ask?

How Much To Ask?

Old 12-06-2010, 05:53 PM

I would figure the materials and then multiply by 3. That's the cost. It may seem a lot but that was a LOT of work.
It is beautiful.

Vicky
Old 12-06-2010, 06:20 PM

I just paid $400 for a throw quilt, machine pieced hand quilted. I think you could get at least that for it.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:12 PM

I would ask $800 to $1,000 for it. You have probably over 25 yards of fabric ($250 to replace that), batting would be another $35 or so, how many yards of thread to piece and quilt it...you have a minimum of $300 in materials and you should measure the quilt and pay yourself at least $0.015 per square inch for the quilting (L x W x .015) and double the cost of the quilting for the piecing (you washed, ironed, cut, sewed, ironed, ironed, ironed).
Old 12-06-2010, 10:25 PM

Interesting topic-I was thinking of selling a couple of my quilt TOPS (not sandwiched or quilted) but wondered if people would buy them (to either quilt themselves or have it done). When I first started out, I HATED the cutting and piecing-only did it to get to the good part-the hand quilting. Now, I really love cutting and piecing, and for the first time, have made more tops before quilting what I had already done. Now, I have 3 more quilt tops I can't wait to start on, but feeling guilty for not completing the 3 I have already pieced (2 queen and 1 topper). What do you all think. I think I have already posted them a couple months ago when I was "showing off" my "stuff".
Old 12-06-2010, 10:33 PM

I don't know about the price,
but I love the colors. Very
beautiful quilt. Nice work.
Hugs, Sharon
Old 12-06-2010, 10:49 PM
Power Poster

First, your quilt is really nice and anyone should be happy to purchase it.

We have had beautiful quilts that are hand quilted, king size at our quilt guild and displayed during our show (unfortunately they didn't sell) that had a price of $600 on them. I don't think that is out of line, but they haven't sold for 2 years. I guess any quilt is really worth what someone will pay for it. Unfortunately, it has been my experience that most people do not want to pay what something hand made is worth.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by twinkie
Unfortunately, it has been my experience that most people do not want to pay what something hand made is worth.
Yeah, when they "can get the same thing at Walmart" for $40, made in China, that falls apart the first time it's washed. Very few people understand the time it takes to make a quilt or the cost of the materials in it. To say nothing of the talent required!
Old 12-06-2010, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
That's really a nice quilt - I would think those colors make it appealing to a pretty large group of customers.

The general formula for pricing (the last time I worked as a professional crafter or artist) was 2 or 2.5 times the cost of materials plus $8-10/hr.

$8/hr was a pretty good wage back in the 70's and 80's - it's only a little above minimum wage now, isn't it? You'd probably want to adjust that upward.

I don't have any idea how much people charge for quilts - having spent the last few years working at it, I think it should be a LOT. ;) But, in this economy, you don't want to price yourself out of the realm of possibility, either.
$8 is less than minimum wage in Oregon and Washington
Old 12-07-2010, 12:04 AM

I don't know about pricing but I love your quilt & the colors you chose. It is gorgeous!
Old 12-07-2010, 08:59 AM

Most people don't appreciate good craft work, but for those who do you shouldn't have a hard time selling it.

I would say easily $550.
When I was at my local quilt shop, people were coming in and asking how much to quilt the tops they had hanging on the wall that were for sale. Mainly, how much to have it completly quilted. Kings ran $1200 and the people didn't even flinch when she quoted them that price.

Check with your LQS and see if they will put it on consignment for you. Get the figures and what your coming home with so there are no surprises.

Let's face it, we as quilters know the time, effort, cost of what we are making and we do it because we love quilting. For those who don't know what we do, stop in at quilt shops and talk with the long arm quilters or the staff. Nothing can be made better and you certainly won't find the quality at large chain stores.

Good luck and keep us posted on the sale.