Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I am NOT proud of this! >

I am NOT proud of this!

I am NOT proud of this!

Old 01-09-2010, 08:37 AM

Way to go. You tried it. I'm still trying to master that myself.
I've done smaller wallhangers and table runners and trust me it does take awhile to get comfortable doing it. At first I just put some squares together in the sandwich and practiced alot.
Keep practicing. This quilt you did does look great. :thumbup:
Old 01-09-2010, 09:03 AM

I agree with many of the comments from others, but espeically to practice drawing on paper the design you're planning to use. Draw it over and over and over the same size you are planning on sewing, until it becomes easy and natural. Then when you start machine quilting make sure to keep the speed up on your foot control and move the fabric slowly. Concentrate but keep your shoulders relaxed and take breaks every 20 min. or so. I don't wear gloves, but have found it easiest to hold the fabric in a roll or bunch in order to keep the fabric taunt.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:30 AM

my DGD didn't even notice that my fm on her doll quilt wasn't perfect...and she will get a few more that also likely will not be perfect...but it is a good size to practce with. hehehe

sewsew...what is the soap trick?

Patti
Old 01-09-2010, 10:24 AM

When I look at my very first hand quilted project, I am amazed at how much I have improved!! I would never want to part with that quilt because it shows how far I've come with the technique. Don't be to hard on yourself because you will get better with practice!!! I think your quilt looks fine, good job!
Old 01-09-2010, 10:32 AM

It's not bad for a first attempt. I think you might have better luck if you're just meandering not to mark lines on your quilt. And much like driving, don't look at the road right in front of you, look a little ahead to where you're heading.

Make up some small practice quilt sandwiches and practice a little to get a feel for it. In time it will get much easier.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:14 AM

I think it looks quite good! congrats on your first quilting experience. Now, quit sweating bullets! LOL
Old 01-09-2010, 01:19 PM

You did a GREAT job.......has anyone here actually "mastered" the machine quilting thing? I have quilted almost 20 quilts (big and small) and still feel "unsure" about myself...However, I love doing it and hope someday to be GOOD at the machine quilting thing. I have a long-arm on the "rack" in the basement with at least 6 quilts ready to go.......Keep up the good work and remember that "only God is perfect"...thats what the Quakers say about their quilts.......
Old 01-09-2010, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by sandpat
Its not so bad!! I actually think it is really good for a first attempt! You might want to start practicing on something smaller, it will be easier to handle and you can gain confidence doing that. But....this one will NOT win the Ugly quilt contest (I have the winner here under the bed) Sorry!
I have to agree with Pat, there is no way that is going to win the ugly award. Heck, as a first FMQ, it's amazing! Trust me, unless you can pull the stitching out (like one of mine, forgot about the tension issue), it's amazing.

There is a great site that has all sorts of FMQ designs that you can practice with. Hope this helps. http://www.daystyledesigns.com/index.htm

As for the sweating bullets...I've been learning to FMQ also and I'm not sure that goes away. :roll:

Pzazz: A lot of us use thin soap slivers to mark our quilting designs. When your body soap gets too small to use in the shower, instead of throwing it away you simply put it in a baggie and save it to mark quilts with. You can also use it as a pin cushion and it will help keep your pins sharp.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:43 PM

You gals sure have a way of making a person feel better. I just looked at it again and it looks pretty darn good! LOLOLOLOL

Thanks for the suggestions, I need to go out to my gardening shop and find a pair of unused gardening gloves with the rubber bumps as I had trouble getting a grip with my bare hands. But I will practice on smaller pieces before I do another big one!
Old 01-09-2010, 03:05 PM

I know exactly what you mean. My first attempts looked like a field of...a field of... male private parts. :oops: :oops: I think if you keep in mind the quilting's purpose is to hold the three pieces together--anything works. You did a fabulous job for your first try. I'd be bursting my buttons if I were you!!

Wanted to add--I'd purchased a pair of rubber gloves to help with chores--they didn't work there, but when I found them again I knew they would work beautifully in the sewing room! They will help a lot.