Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • I am so ashamed of the way my sewing room looks >
  • I am so ashamed of the way my sewing room looks

• I am so ashamed of the way my sewing room looks

Old 07-01-2011, 03:16 AM

doesn't look as bad as you think! Have you tried looking at your local Craig's list or perhaps you have a Freecycle site near you can register with? There are always people who are giving away either bookcases (great for stacking folded fabric) or plastic containers (again, great for holding fabric).....

I like the idea of you asking if any members of this forum live close by to help you reorganize. There isn't a quilter around who wouldn't help...I love to organize fabric and sewing rooms!

Hope you get better quickly!
    Old 07-01-2011, 03:17 AM

it's lived in:-)...don't worry about it...just get better:-)
    Old 07-01-2011, 03:19 AM

I hope your knee is better. Your room is neat compared to mine. I decided to clean it and now its worse than ever. I bought tubs and went to Lowes to get shelves but would you believe they were out of the ones I wanted. Hopefully by Sept I will be able to walk in my sewing room. Wish I could help you. How do you decide which fabric to keep. What I decided to give away I have since decided to keep. There is no hope for me.
    Old 07-01-2011, 03:26 AM

I admit I'm a messy too. My daughter will come down about once a year and help me get organized and it stays that way for the first project or two. Just relax and enjoy your creative spirit, just pick up when you can.

Vicky
    Old 07-01-2011, 03:41 AM

Not taking a pic of my sewing room either!! Its extremely small and all the shoe boxes I have saved are now storing projects. My mother always told me that creative people are not the most organized and neat so thats my motto and I'm sticking to it!!
    Old 07-01-2011, 03:53 AM
    Power Poster

Don't worry about it. Take care of your knee first.
    Old 07-01-2011, 04:06 AM

Looks like a little folding and organizing and you would be in great shape, don't be so hard on yourself its your room! hope you feel better soon!
    Old 07-01-2011, 04:16 AM

At 3 weeks post op knee replacement, (I'm 7 weeks now) I was moving pretty good, but still needed a lot of elevation to keep the swelling down. I think you'll feel better by simply refolding everything into a same size bundle. When you do that, you'll have the therapeutic experience of fondling your fabric, and thinking about future uses for it, and you'll be able to do most of the work while sitting. The accomplishment will be that the uniformity will take less space in your bins, and will stack better, even if it is stacked on the floor.

Stand any of the flat things, rulers mats, together, rather than having them spread out. Have someone stop at a package store and collect boxes for you. They are usually strong, and sized about the same, they stack well, with a little help of Duct tape, and are good free shelving, but don't go too high. Automotive stores are another good source for boxes - the ones oil is shipped in - just look that there are no leaks. If in doubt, store the sewing boxes, books and thread bins in the boxes, and put the fabric on the shelves.

Your room isn't bad, and it can be done inexpensively until you get back on your "feet/knee" and back to work. Get a neighbor kid, or someone else to lift for you though. Take it easy, fold, don't fret. And be sure to give us a follow-up on knee and room.
    Old 07-01-2011, 04:29 AM
    Power Poster

Hello! My sewing room was such a disaster that I wouldn't go in it. I would sew on my Featherweight in the kitchen. Now that's ridiculous when you realize I have a sewing room!! After awhile I couldn't take not being able to find anything.
    So, with much encouragement from the board and all their tips I started. I took sections at a time b/c it was so overwhelming. When I had enough I would shut the door for the day. Little by little it started to look usable again!
    The only thing I purchased was some of those foam boards at the Dollar Store to put some of my fabric on "bolts" so to speak. I have a big closet but couldn't see anything. I put all my fat quarters and half yards etc in clear bins that I already had.
    First get better, then tackle your room. Honestly mine looked a lot worse than yours! :D
    PS. I also found a lot of stuff I no longer wanted. That was a challenge but I can only have so much! I realized what an impulsive shopper I was and took some notes for the future!
    Old 07-01-2011, 04:47 AM

Moms can really mess with their daughters' heads! Try not to get too caught up in the need for your mother's approval. How about telling her you would have cleaned if you had not just been operated on?!

As regards suggestions, I cannot see any substantial storage unit in that room, so I would be putting stuff in boxes. I love plastic boxes. Small ones could go on those shelves by the window. You can fit a lot in those. What is in those baskets? Could they be under the table? Do you have an old suitcase you can put fabric in without buying storage boxes? If you pack it pretty tightly you can store it upright.