Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I need help with picking out a border >

I need help with picking out a border

I need help with picking out a border

Old 02-16-2013, 06:54 AM

Depending on the colors in your room of course, but I think a narrow border of the dark grey (almost black) to frame the quilt and then one of the softer colors that's in the quilt as a wider border. If you don't have enough of your fabric left maybe you could purchase one that's really close to the same color that you like the best. I personally would probably pick the soft, lighter pink or the yellow for the wider border.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:12 AM
Power Poster

So many choices. Whatever you choose it will come out beautiful!
Old 02-16-2013, 07:27 AM

Beautiful quilt top. How about using the deeper blue or purple as an inner border to frame the top, then a center border pieced in 4-patch strips from your leftovers, then an outer border of the blue or purple. Please post the finished quilt. We all want to see!
Old 02-16-2013, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Plumtree View Post
I just finished this yesterday. It is suppose to be surrounded by a light brown 2 inch border then an almost black 3 inch border followed by a 8 inch light brown outter border with oak leaves appliqued all around in last border. Here is the thing my applique skill stink--I don't want fusible because of its stiffness so I am rethinking the borders and not sure what I want. Hubby suggest french braid border but because this was a kit I don't have enough fabric, I do have some that is close in my stash but not exact.

I am so happy with how this part has turned out I don't want to ruin it with a boring border or an appliqued one that all I see are mistakes. This will be on our bed so I will see them often. :-)

So any suggestions? I scoured google last night and found a few but wanted to ask ya'll for opinions. Thanks for your help
I love the quilt so far, but with the wonderful rainbow colors and busy action, so the first border would be a narrow (no more than 2 inches) of a solid dark purple/blue like in the pattern to stop the action and give the eyes a place to rest. Then maybe a bit wider border, maybe the pink in the pattern, the consider a patterned border, like maybe flying geese or piano keys using colors from the quilt then bind with one of the darker colors...it is just beautiful so far, have fun finishing and enjoy using it!
Old 02-16-2013, 07:43 AM

If you're concerned about stiffness of applique - have you tried MistyFuse? it's very light and stays flexible.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:52 AM

I would put an inch wide border of the blackish color to contain the colors in the quilt, then something bright. A piano key border in your scraps and your close colors from your stash might work.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:45 AM

Thank you for the great replies :-) My room is a light purple I like the idea of a dark purple to let the eyes rest and then the flying geese. I will be going to LQS to find close matches thanks again for the help. Enjoy your weekend
Old 02-16-2013, 10:13 AM
Power Poster

I would, if having enough, would go with a small inner border of gold and a wider outer border of the rich blue. When I first saw it I said (out loud) "Oh Man!! It's fantastic!" You did a beautiful job.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:16 AM

What about doing the borders as the kit suggests but quilt a design in the outer border instead of applique?
Old 02-16-2013, 10:20 AM

i would go with no border unless you want to make the quilt bigger