Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I need your help please!

For adults, I always want the quilt to be at least 50 inches wide, and about 75 inches long. If the person is extra wide or extra long, then bigger. I assume that the quilt will be a nap cover and that is a comfortable size for me. You could add more blocks or gaint he large size with piano key border made of scraps. Oh, by the way . . . I love this cheerful and well designed quilt.

It is lovely and will be so important to her. Please consider putting fleece or even minkee on the back. It will be warmer, lighter and easier for her to manage. I make lots of quilts for the children's hospital and that's what I use. Wears well if you buy good fleece (JoAnn's 50% off)

I would add a row all around and then add the borders that Yvonne suggested. If she is in chemo they tend to get cold so she could wrap herself in all the love that comes from a quilt.

I would add a row all around and then add the borders that Yvonne suggested. If she is in chemo they tend to get cold so she could wrap herself in all the love that comes from a quilt.

Beautiful quilt!

LOVE IT ! I have been wanting to do a pinwheel quilt. I too love the reproduction fabric.

I would add another row to make the quilt wider,
    7 blocks X 9 blocks. Odd number rows seem to work better.
    Then add a narrow border with the same color binding.

Blog Entries
    Very beautiful !! She will love it !

Quote Originally Posted by Antdebby1
    I made these pinwheel blocks because I love 30's fabric and wanted to do something different. I want to finish the quilt and send it to my cousin who is battling breast cancer.

The blocks will be 6" when finished. Right now on the design wall I have 6 blocks across and 9 down. Are the proportions right? Should I make it wider? Shorter?

Also, what about borders? I thought a small solid border (not sure what color) and then take scraps and make a wider border. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    I would make it 7 x 9 blocks and then maybe a border

The blocks look great! as for size I am 5'10" and I make all my curl up quilt tops to finish out at 60"x70" that way it will tuck under the feet and up around the shoulders. Now thats not the case with my youngest DD she is 6'3" and growing, so hers get to be longer. I do agree with the small white boarder then a scrappy and then another white. Just my thoughts. Keep up the good work the quilt will be just bueatiful when your finished!

Blog Entries
    I think I would do 7x8 blocks. that would bring it more into proportion. Then I would put a small solid border. then I like your idea of a scrappy border after that and then bind. That said. You've done a great job and she'll love it no matter how you finish it up.

The size of your quilt seems right for a cancer patient who may not need the weight of a bigger quilt, and could possibly take it with her to treatment. Your design idea for a border sounds like a good one to me. Your quilt is so pretty, but the border would make it even more so. Best wishes for your cousin's recovery.

Blog Entries
    I agree with dedcavan

Power Poster
    Very pretty! Depending on her size I would put a navy blue border on it, as wide as you need it to be, within reason of course.

I've been through chemo twice, and you need something lightweight and warm. My most comfortable lap blanket is 60 x 60. My daughter is also undergoing chemo. I actually bought a fleecy type throw at WalMart and used that as the batting for a chemo quilt for her. It's light weight, launders well, and is warm.

I love the pinwheels and it's going to be a beautiful gift. Keep it on the "small" side so that it can be hand;ed easily after surgery. Maybe use a lighter weight batting too because heavy blankets are not good. You're doing great so far!

It's beautiful, love the 30's fabric. Whatever you end up doing will be great and she will love it. Great work.

Beautiful quilt...God bless your cousin.

I am new at quilting but I would say one more long row and maybe a dark green border a few in wide,maybe 3 in.

speaking from experience...lighter/smaller quilt is a must for these reasons...(a).easier to lift after surgery and during chemo.
    (b) Go thru hot/cold spell (c) can be handled with you when moving from room to room.
    That is a BEAUTIFUL quilt made with love, thoughtsfulness and kindness...so whatever you feel comfortable with binding, u go girl!

I can't help you with size but I think your idea about small solid border and then scrap border will be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Antdebby1
    Thank you all for your suggestions. I think I'll start sewing the blocks together and take if from there.
    I would add a 3" border all the way around.

No suggestions except not too big in case she wants to take it to treatment and to tell you it is a beautiful quilt and will offer much comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
    I think I would do 7x8 blocks. that would bring it more into proportion. Then I would put a small solid border. then I like your idea of a scrappy border after that and then bind. That said. You've done a great job and she'll love it no matter how you finish it up.
    Just what I was thinking! Make two more pinwheel blocks and go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by debcavan
    The proportion is fine. I would add a small tiny border and then a second bigger border. Piano keys would be fun for the bigger border. I would use scraps of the fabrics in the quilt.

The colors are so pretty. And you did such a great job piecing.
    That's what I was going to suggest. First a small strip (maybe 1/2 to 1" and then a scrappy piano key with all your leftovers. Let us know what you decide to do, please. Great job!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast