Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I shouldn't be dissappointed... >

I shouldn't be dissappointed...

I shouldn't be dissappointed...

Old 08-16-2011, 05:19 AM

It's a beautiful quilt. She just didn't realized what it was. Sometimes showers are overwhelming when you are young but when you get things home and start putting them in drawers for the baby you realize how wonderful the gifts are.
Mia
Old 08-16-2011, 05:22 AM

I know exactly how you feel. My avatar is a quilt I made from antique blocks that a dear friend asked me to make for her daughter's hs graduation present. I told her I would do it before I ever saw the blocks. The maker had washed them after she made them and they were a mess. The we also made from leftover stuff, kids clothes, hubby's shirts, etc. The only thing i could do with them was applique them onto other fabric. I had about $200 in it plus about 200 hours. I didn't take a cent for it. We couldn't stay for her party as we live about 4 hours away and so she opened it before the party. I'm so glad she did because she just smiled and said "nice." Then later she asked her mother if she was going to get any "real" presents. I was heart broken. But I got to thinking about it afterward, and I really made it for my friend who did appreciate it.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:24 AM

That's when you grab it up before you leave and give it to someone who appreciates it...LOL It's a very cute quilt!
Old 08-16-2011, 05:25 AM

It is hard when you have put so much of yourself into making a really great gift and it is treated that way.. Just know you had love in your heart when you made it and try not to let it hurt you.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:32 AM

I very recently, had a similar response from a young mother-to-be. "Did you make this? Pretty" refolded it and put it back in the gift bag. No other comments. On to the next gift.

Did she have any idea of the hours I took planning, sewing and quilting that gift? No! and this is where the voices of many contributors to this board echoed in my head. "Just let it go. She may appreciate it later or not. You gave it as a gift. It is no longer yours"

You know the love and skill that you put out to create your lovely little quilt. We need a little reminder that we do this for joy of the creation not the praise we may get. At least I do.:roll:

If you can, put aside your hurt and love the mom and the baby. I lean on the hope that some time in the future, I will have the opportunity to share my joy and passion for quilts with the new owner of my quilt. It may be the mother but it may be the child. :lol:
Old 08-16-2011, 05:34 AM

Perhaps maturity will bring about a new level of appreciation of what others do for you.....I love it and would be very proud to display it in my nursery....
Old 08-16-2011, 05:35 AM

:-D Love the story! "MINE!!!" That made your efforts all worth while.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:44 AM

I don't get over thoughtlessness/rudeness like that; it stays with me forever. That's one of the reasons why I give my home made quilts & dolls (into which I have poured much time & effort) to a very select group of people. Everybody else gets a bought gift, carefully chosen & not cheap, but even so, it's unusual if they find the time and make the effort to send a thank you note.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:03 AM

I made a double wedding ring quilt for the in-laws with Kansas Troubles fabric. It was for their 50th wedding anniversary. My feelings were really hurt a couple months later when she showed me her new bedroom set and the quilt was no where to be found. I didn't say anything, but I will not make another.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:38 AM

You did a great job on this. Pat yourself on the back - baby will love it!