Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I shouldn't be dissappointed... >

I shouldn't be dissappointed...

I shouldn't be dissappointed...

Old 08-15-2011, 05:50 PM
Banned

Sorry to hear this...if you searched disappointed at the top of this page you would find 95% of the topics posted with that as the title have to do with gifts that are given and not appreciated...sadly..not everyone GETS quilts/quilting....
Old 08-15-2011, 06:54 PM
Power Poster

It is adorable. I don't know what to say. It is so beautiful and I just can't believe anyone wouldn't appreciate it. Now the baby will be a whole different matter. He will love the softness and the colors. I'm sorry this happened to you. You took time and thought and it is hard not to have your efforts appreciated.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:55 PM

I recently made a quilt for my other half's cousin for a wedding gift. We didn't attend the wedding but gave it to her at a family gathering afterwards. When she took it out of the bag, she was excited because she loved the colors. I wanted to make sure she saw the quilt label on it so I showed it to her and she said "You made this?" then she was even more excited!!! I don't know that she knew that I quilted so she wasn't expecting it to be hand made. After letting her know that it was handcrafted, she had a totally different respect for it. It doesn't hurt to let the receiptant know that you made it specifically for them. Other wise, they might just think it is mass produced and store bought.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
I recently made a quilt for my other half's cousin for a wedding gift. We didn't attend the wedding but gave it to her at a family gathering afterwards. When she took it out of the bag, she was excited because she loved the colors. I wanted to make sure she saw the quilt label on it so I showed it to her and she said "You made this?" then she was even more excited!!! I don't know that she knew that I quilted so she wasn't expecting it to be hand made. After letting her know that it was handcrafted, she had a totally different respect for it. It doesn't hurt to let the receiptant know that you made it specifically for them. Other wise, they might just think it is mass produced and store bought.
True, true. When I mass-produced table runners for everyone for Christmas, when they were first opened, the reaction was "Oh, that's nice." But then, someone said, "Wait, did you MAKE these?!?!?!" and everyone went berzerk! Take it as a compliment to the high quality of your quilting skills :)
Old 08-15-2011, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by TheSevenYearStitch
Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
True, true. When I mass-produced table runners for everyone for Christmas, when they were first opened, the reaction was "Oh, that's nice." But then, someone said, "Wait, did you MAKE these?!?!?!" and everyone went berzerk! Take it as a compliment to the high quality of your quilting skills :)
I see no problem with telling the person getting the quilt, table runner, etc that you made it. Some people may not know that you quilt or sew and it would be a shame for them not to know that they have a "made for them" item. Most people will appreciate the item more if they know it was handcrafted and not store bought. I know that at baby showers especially, the mom receives lots of blankets and should be told when it is made specifically for them and their little one.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:09 AM
Power Poster

Sorry for your disappointment--I am glad at baby showers in my town the people can't wait to see the quilt I have brought!
Old 08-16-2011, 03:12 AM

:thumbup:
LC
Old 08-16-2011, 03:14 AM

:thumbup:
LC
Old 08-16-2011, 03:21 AM

As soft as that quilt is that baby is going to love it, and it will be drug around and cuddled with so just put that picture in your mind. I wish sometimes I had something like that to make my bad times go away.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:27 AM

It's a beautiful quilt! It does hurt when you work so hard on something and it's not appreciated. Been there done that.