Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
i'd rather put my head in the toilet.... >

i'd rather put my head in the toilet....

i'd rather put my head in the toilet....

Old 08-22-2014, 03:38 PM

Default i'd rather put my head in the toilet....

and watch the water swirl than piece this quilt. HELP HELP HELP! she wants fairies, pinks, purples. NO creams. period. i was going to trim the panel in the green hence the green in the centers of the log cabins. nothing matches. she lives in wyoming, she is disabled, these are for her grandkids. i have TWO to make that she wants identical, one pink center and one with the MM blue fairy center. and of course EQ7 looked a bit easier on the eye than this hot mess. i seriously need help. am i getting paid? nope! this is a labor of love. don't pay any attention to the "other" stuff on the sides of what im working on. thanks! ah, and the log cabins aren't done yet either. so they are uneven, etc. they wont be finished, either.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]488684[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 001.jpg  

Last edited by terri bb; 08-22-2014 at 03:49 PM. Reason: addition
Old 08-22-2014, 03:53 PM

I'd say your "stone" is for sure on the roll....I know they will be beautiful and she will be happy.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:02 PM

Ouch !!!! I have been in situations like this myself....and am always reminded that my dear Gram used to say...."no good deed goes unpunished" !!!
On the bright side--- if, however, you are a "believer"......you are earning gold stars in heaven.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:02 PM
Power Poster

first....slowdown and take a deep breath. it looks very pretty to us, you're just to critical. You're o a roll nad going good. do what you can, and stop picking it apart. she will love them, and you'll see how great they turn out. show us when you're done.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:07 PM

In the post it seems like the log cabin pinks and purples do not go with the lavender in the panel...is that what is throwing this off? Maybe just a border or two around the panel and some pinwheels to keep it simple. Love the fairy panel and am sure it will be beautiful when you finish it. Good luck!
Old 08-22-2014, 04:19 PM

I was recently in the same predicament. The person picked out horse fabric, doggie paw prints, state birds, daisies, and wagon wheels and it was her "story" that I was trying to tell in a quilt. Anyhow, it sure was hard for me to enjoy working on what I considered awful colors and combinations of fabrics. But the lady loved it and still loves it, and raves about it.
Your quilt will be loved in the same manner!
Old 08-22-2014, 04:34 PM

I have been there myself - it really is difficult when you don't like what you are working on... my only advice is when I did the same - it really did look ok once I quilted it and finished - still not my cup of tea but the recipient will love it.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:14 PM

Stand back, do something else that you enjoy working on. Then come back later and take a fresh look. Also, look at some different patterns. I think you are hung up on log cabins.( just because I know what you have been working on besides this) If the colors matched a little better, I think you would like it a little bit better. Love ya kiddo. It will work out!
Old 08-22-2014, 05:54 PM

I see a black background in the fairy block so why not use a small black border around the center to make it stand out. And sew the fairy blocks around the border. Or in the corners. Then use a pink backing with a light green binding to match the green in the center block. Just a thought. Or just use colors that go with the center piece . I know you will figure it out and it will look great. Would love to see it when you are done.

Last edited by Chris Anders; 08-22-2014 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:01 PM

I would frame out the middle piece with green, then use green as the background. Use just the fairy prints and the log cabins. That should not be hard. Have fun with it. If you do not like the green for the background, go with the light purple, then use the green, then a dark purple border. Go for it!