Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: January Block BOM

I'm currently working on my first block of my first Block of the Month. The project is called "Home is Where the Heart Is." I'm hoping it will look good hanging in the entryway of my home, where there currently hangs a metal sculpture that has been hanging somewhere in our home for over 30 years. I think it's time for a change. Don't you?

Anyway . . . I've never participated in a block of the month before, but for some reason I recently felt compelled to sign up for three of them. One has something to do with cats, and I can't remember what the other one is. I haven't received anything on that one yet.

But I've finished the first block of this one. "Home is Where the Heart Is" is a quilt where all the blocks represent a month out of the year. This one is "January." It's a 13-month BOM with the borders and completion instructions being the last month.

My husband and I may take a several-months-long trip later this year, and I'm not sure what to do with the BOM's that will be arriving while we're gone. Does anybody know if you can suspend shipment? Maybe they'll just have to pile up until I get home.

Okay, all of that to say: Here is the first block of my first ever BOM--January.

I still need to blanket stitch around all the pieces, but they are fused into place.
    Name:  Attachment-87473.jpe
Views: 60
Size:  64.6 KB

that is so cute! I just adore snowmen! :) :) What is the cat one you are doing? And gotta say I'm green with envy for you and your hubby going on a several month vacation!

Absolutely adorable... Nice work.

Really cute . Can't wai to see the whole quilt.

Oh, how cute!!! Looks like so much fun to make too.
    I just recently signed up for Home for the Holidays BOM.

Looks great!

Blog Entries
    How cute is that ! :mrgreen:

I would contact the stores in questions and ask them if they can hold them in the store for you. Explain that you are leaving/traveling and will contact them when you get home. They may work with you , it just depends on how big they are and how much room they have available to store items

Blog Entries
    That is cute.

Very cute.

Super Member Pineapple Princess's Avatar
    Nice work!

Cute! Bet the 'cold' felt good on a hot day.

Quote Originally Posted by wvdek
    Cute! Bet the 'cold' felt good on a hot day.
    Oh, I am so sad to say that here, in Oregon, we have had the wettest June on record. It's rained nearly 4.5 inches and we're only about half way through the month. We are pretty tired of the rain and the cold. Everyone's vegetable gardens are crying for some warmth and sunshine. I know that probably sounds crazy to those of you in warm states. But it still feels like winter here.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrys
    What is the cat one you are doing? And gotta say I'm green with envy for you and your hubby going on a several month vacation!
    The cat one I'm doing is called "A Kitten's Tale." It's a shorter one--only six months, maybe?

Yes, the trip. My husband is semi-retired, but still does contract work. If his contract ends in October as we expect it to, then we'll travel for a few months--snowbirds. We really want to get back to the East Coast. The farthest east we've traveled is West Texas.

My father was a career Marine, and so I lived on the East Coast in my younger years. I always liked it there. Old, like Europe.

So the trip is a mixed blessing. We'll be happy for the opportunity to travel, but he'll still have to be looking for his next job. (Sigh.) We're not independently wealthy yet. Yeah, right.

What a cute block - it is very charming. The whole quilt will be something to see.

Blog Entries
    adorable, thanks for sharing

Blog Entries
    That is a very cute block :D:D:D

Very nice work, love the pattern.

That is so cute. What a great block. Thanks for sharing.

Very cute.

Sew cute!! I to felt compelled to join a BOM recently. I did the Christmas one that the Fata Quarter Shop has, it's their Designer surprise one, so I don't even know what the quilt will look like in the end!! I think that's actually pretty exciting. :) Please be sure to share pics of your other two when you get them!

Cheers!
    Rachel

do you have a trusted neighbor to collect your mail and forward to you each week or so? that way, no one knows you're gone except her. of course, the post office can suspend your mail if you want them to know you won't be home, but i don't like to do that. if you have to pay for the blocks every month, maybe you can pay in advance, or buy them all in advance.

btw, the block is charming.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    do you have a trusted neighbor to collect your mail and forward to you each week or so? that way, no one knows you're gone except her. of course, the post office can suspend your mail if you want them to know you won't be home, but i don't like to do that. if you have to pay for the blocks every month, maybe you can pay in advance, or buy them all in advance.

btw, the block is charming.
    Thanks. We've made these trips before, and the post office will only hold mail for a month. If we go, we'll probably ask our son to go to the post office and pick it up each month. I can ask him to forward them on to me. It's kind of a pain in the neck. The post office will only hold mail for a month, and we have to ask them anew each month to hold it for another month. I'll figure something out.

My third BOM came today. It's called Checkerboard Flowers. I certainly have plenty to keep me busy. I have a Downy quilt to finish too. I'm never bored, that's for sure.

Very cute, I can't wait to see them all as a quilt. Have a save and great trip.