Judy Niemeyer - Bali Wedding Star Scallops Quilting

Old 09-01-2014, 04:52 PM

BeUtivul!! Colors are all bright and soothing
Old 09-01-2014, 05:52 PM

That is beautiful!
Old 09-01-2014, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by nwm50 View Post
BeUtivul!! Colors are all bright and soothing
I'm glad you like my quilt. You are the first to realize what I saw after I started sewing it . Something bright yet soothing. Usually you have one or the other. I am starting to put those last 2 rows of blocks together. It will be ready to quilt before long.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:41 PM

Barb your quilt is amazing. I am starting the JN Flowers for my Wedding Ring. I know how to PP but have never done any of her patterns and I must admit those directions are unbelievable! There are about 12 of us doing it so I am hoping we will have an easier time than doing it alone. I have tons of batiks here and wanted to put something together myself but think I am going to go for purchasing the Bali pops....actually the Jinny Beyer Pixie Strips. I just can't imagine trying to put my own batiks together and that is always my favorite part of the quilting process......picking out the fabrics. Did you purchase this as a kit, use the Bali Pops, or get really bad venturous and pick your own fabrics? If you picked your own, would you mind sharing how you went about picking the fabrics?
Please be sure to post a picture when u r all done. Thanks so much for sharing with us!!!!
Old 09-01-2014, 08:02 PM

Stunning. Can't image having the talent to make one like it!
Old 09-01-2014, 08:16 PM

That is just spectacular, and the colours are just gorgeous, great job.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by coastienest View Post
Barb your quilt is amazing. I am starting the JN Flowers for my Wedding Ring. I know how to PP but have never done any of her patterns and I must admit those directions are unbelievable! There are about 12 of us doing it so I am hoping we will have an easier time than doing it alone. I have tons of batiks here and wanted to put something together myself but think I am going to go for purchasing the Bali pops....actually the Jinny Beyer Pixie Strips. I just can't imagine trying to put my own batiks together and that is always my favorite part of the quilting process......picking out the fabrics. Did you purchase this as a kit, use the Bali Pops, or get really bad venturous and pick your own fabrics? If you picked your own, would you mind sharing how you went about picking the fabrics?
Please be sure to post a picture when u r all done. Thanks so much for sharing with us!!!!
Hope I can answer all your questions.

History, I went to the International Quilt Festival in Houston in Nov 2013. I walked by the Pinwheel & Posies booth and they had a Bali Wedding Star (6x6 ring) kit with pattern on sale. I had NO intention of starting such a project, but it was ON SALE! DUH. I bought the thing because my friend had just started on a BWS bed runner and said she would help me. At this point I didn't even own a Judy Niemeyer pattern. Now I have over 20.

All the arcs in the original kit started in a lighter shade and went to a darker shade, sometimes just changing the pattern of the batik in the middle. All were muted colors. I was sewing on the arcs, when I realized that a 6x6 arc was only a full bed size, and I didn't have any full beds. The only thing to do was to enlarge it. I decided to try to make it 7x8 arcs, not realizing that would take 36 arcs to 56 meant 20 more. I almost doubled the size.

When I was choosing the extra arc fabric I kept the same continuity - light to dark, but couldn't find muteds that I liked. I found out really quickly that I needed samples of the arc fabrics I had already sewn, in order to be able to pick additional fabrics. I bought some 3 hole punched, cardboard stock and taped small sections of each of the fabrics in it. I added these to the binder where I had put my instructions and headed back to the quilt shop. I started out with 8 and ended up with 14 or 15 colors. I don't have my book with me so don't know how many I ended up with. I bought a couple of extra paper packs for the pattern and kept on sewing and sewing.

The kit was mostly the muted arc fabrics and 4 background cream batiks. I didn't have any Bali pops with me, so I went to the local quilt shop and chose the fabrics for the pink, bright blue, yellow to Orange, green and purple arcs. I found 2 more cream batiks bg fabrics so away I went. I was so fortunate that there was enough of the original center sections where everything meets, fabrics to make the extra pieces needed. For a couple of the arcs, I had to mix some regular fabrics with the batiks. They do fray more and you have to watch and make sure you are sewing the good side down, but other than that they were fine.

I think it is absolutely wonderful that you have a group doing it together. It will be so much easier, and each of you will help keep the others going.

When I first started sewing everything together, I would do one whole block which consists of 4 quarter blocks and then sew them together. It gave me such a feeling of accomplishment to have part of it finished. Consider the block as an on point block with the red and black as the center. The outside edges of the blocks are the green and orange intersections. I spent a lot of time making sure I was offsetting different seams to get them to all come out even. Later in the process, I realized that if I had completed all like seams at the same time, I wouldn't have to relearn where to line it up to keep it aligned properly.
Attached Thumbnails bws-small-blocks-noted.jpg  
Old 09-02-2014, 07:00 PM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

very pretty !!
Old 09-03-2014, 03:28 AM

Stunning quilt! And yes, pp'ing definitely is the hot tip for something like this.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:10 AM

I love the bright colors. Very pretty.