Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Just another slew of minis..... >

Just another slew of minis.....

Just another slew of minis.....

Old 10-25-2009, 08:03 PM

n2scraplvr, they are all just beautiful. I really love the pyramids. Such a simple pattern but your use of color really brings it alive! Thanks for sharing them.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Hunnib
n2scraplvr, they are all just beautiful. I really love the pyramids. Such a simple pattern but your use of color really brings it alive! Thanks for sharing them.
Thank you, hunnib! I love those pyramids 2nd best after the tumblers. Let me know which panel of pyra. you like best, I'll ship you some so you can finish it for me and keep it. Don't think I'll ever get that WIP done. Haven't even figured out yet how to put these big diamond shaped panels together yet, duh. Have any suggestions. Think it'll end up looking like a kite! LOL.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
You'll have to try the new block coming out. It is a Wings block and if you look at my avatar you will see curves but they are an optical illusion. There are no curves in this block! But it looks like there are in a lot of the designs.

As for the Drunkard's path I don't do any more curves than sewing a yoyo onto a background fabric with my sewing machine. Then cut in 4 pieces. So easy!! The only hard part is sewing slowly around the circle of the yoyo. And that isn't hard once you get a feel for sewing slowly and turning it as you go.

I do not do curves!! I tried once to do the Drunkard's Path the old fashioned way and curves and I do not get along!! That is why I was so excited when I figured out the way I do it now. I took Eleanor Burns ideas and changed them some added my spin to hers and got what I do now. It is so much fun to see the designs emerge!!
Your new bl. sounds great!! I've read many times abt these bl. you can do to make them appear curvaceous without doing a single curve! There are a few books on the mkt abt that. It's all optical illusions. Tessellating blocks are optical illusions too and so interesting to look at. Can surely understand how excited you must have been on seeing that bl. played out with yoyos! What a great invention. Love working backwards first to get to the conclusion, don't you???? Start at the end and back up to the beginning. That's what this woman did on Alex Anderson's show in order to cut 30-40 blocks out at once! She said it now takes "NO TIME" to put together a quilt! I can imagine! Once we put our heads together, Rhonda, and begin talking, it's no tellling what new ideas will come forth!!hahaha.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by n2scraplvr
Let me know which panel of pyra. you like best, I'll ship you some so you can finish it for me and keep it. Don't think I'll ever get that WIP done. Haven't even figured out yet how to put these big diamond shaped panels together yet, duh. Have any suggestions. Think it'll end up looking like a kite! LOL.
You are too kind...I couldn't possibly take your work, but I sincerely appreciate your generosity. I do enjoy your posts and I'm glad you seemed to have your computer woes taken care of and now can post your lovely pictures. I really don't have any advice about the diamond shaped panels. Sounds too complicated for my feeble little mind! I'm sure you will figure it out. Yes, the tumblers would definitely be my second choice too. They look pretty difficult. Keep posting...Can't wait to see what else you're doing.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:31 PM
Power Poster

Once we put our heads together, Rhonda, and begin talking, it's no tellling what new ideas will come forth!!hahaha.
I love bouncing ideas off others and haveing others take my ideas and adding their own twists! So much fun to see all the creativity! I get to see ideas I had never thought of! Especially color choices just as you said you used the Bostons and let them fall wherever instead of lining them up in a predictable way. I love getting new ways to look at things like that!
Old 10-26-2009, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Hunnib
Let me know which panel of pyra. you like best, I'll ship you some so you can finish it for me and keep it. Don't think I'll ever get that WIP done. Haven't even figured out yet how to put these big diamond shaped panels together yet, duh. Have any suggestions. Think it'll end up looking like a kite! LOL.
You are too kind...I couldn't possibly take your work, but I sincerely appreciate your generosity. I do enjoy your posts and I'm glad you seemed to have your computer woes taken care of and now can post your lovely pictures. I really don't have any advice about the diamond shaped panels. Sounds too complicated for my feeble little mind! I'm sure you will figure it out. Yes, the tumblers would definitely be my second choice too. They look pretty difficult. Keep posting...Can't wait to see what else you're doing.
Thank you, hunnib, for your nice words. They mean so much! Yes, it's too complicated for my feeble little mind too but we'll figure it out when I get there and love the surprise in the end! The tumbling blocks are a challenge for me w/o getting puckers but some people can breeze on thru them. Gosh, I'm always N2 something - keep checking back for some more posts from me. You'll love my baby bargellos I know but can't show any big stuff yet. You'll laugh at my 1st split sec. thoughts of your name when I saw it I said to myself "hun - nib" that's a strange name!!! wonder where she's from? hahahha Have a good day :roll: :roll: :roll: :wink: .

Old 10-26-2009, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda.
[/quote

I love bouncing ideas off others and haveing others take my ideas and adding their own twists! So much fun to see all the creativity! I get to see ideas I had never thought of! Especially color choices just as you said you used the Bostons and let them fall wherever instead of lining them up in a predictable way. I love getting new ways to look at things like that!
It's funny you told me your technique about DPath because I had just been wondering what other bl. I could "sew first, cut later" after doing the D9Patch. I'll bet you've never done this b4. I have such a heart for eyelet that I couldn't wait to put it in a string quilt. I had so much fun sewing over the tops of the holes!!! hhaahahha. Don't know anyone who's done that yet! Also, I put velour, velvet, corduroy, flannel and silk in the same quilt. It's a scrap quilt so I see it with everything in it. Don't you just want to put some eyelet in your bookmarks now? And have fun sewing over those holes? Oh my. It's no telling what you'll come up with after talking to me! :wink: :-o :-) :roll: :wink: :lol:
Old 10-26-2009, 09:36 AM
Power Poster

All my "blocks" directions are sew first cut later. That is what I call my cut down method. I love it as you get tiny piecing without handling tiny pieces.

I have never had the guts to try velvet and lace etc. I know they used to use alot of that in crazy quilts in the "old" days. I admire anyone who can sew with silk! I have had some fabrics that are slick and I hated sewing with them. But I am used to only cotton. So if I did it on purpose it might be a differant story. I would be prepared for the slipping feeling instead of frustrated with it.

I have made stuffed hearts with velveteen fabric. I love how it looks and I like the stretchiness of it as I made some teeny tiny hearts with it. Hope you don't mind a pic on your thread. But this is what my hearts look like. Some of the littler ones are less than an inch. My mom is nuts over hearts for Valentines so I play around with a lot of differant kinds closer to Feb. every year.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-8670.jpe  
Old 10-26-2009, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
All my "blocks" directions are sew first cut later. That is what I call my cut down method. I love it as you get tiny piecing without handling tiny pieces.

I have never had the guts to try velvet and lace etc. I know they used to use alot of that in crazy quilts in the "old" days. I admire anyone who can sew with silk! I have had some fabrics that are slick and I hated sewing with them. But I am used to only cotton. So if I did it on purpose it might be a differant story. I would be prepared for the slipping feeling instead of frustrated with it.

I have made stuffed hearts with velveteen fabric. I love how it looks and I like the stretchiness of it as I made some teeny tiny hearts with it. Hope you don't mind a pic on your thread. But this is what my hearts look like. Some of the littler ones are less than an inch. My mom is nuts over hearts for Valentines so I play around with a lot of differant kinds closer to Feb. every year.
Yes, know what you mean by cut-down method. Am getting ready to do the same thing with some tiny stuff; it's the only way to handle them.

No, I don't mind a pic on my thread. You're hearts are just adorable. We all love the hearts no matter what size or fabric!

Have some gorgeous satin the seamstress supplied my family with and can't wait to get N2 that stuff. It'll be just like trying to sew silk I'm sure. But the sheen is just so beautiful, I can't let it just sit there. Some creative idea will pop up for sure! Having done crafting for many yrs I know I'll use it some way to maximize on its color. Velveteen i s very nice to work with. Found some interesting looking leather appearing bonded poly of some type and want to use it also in a deep wine color. I found so much wonderful silk/poly fabrics that I'll be using a lot of them as they are so colorfast! They'll hold better in a quilt than cottons I think, but anyway it's a chance to play with something else! :wink: :lol: :roll: :wink: :roll:
Old 10-26-2009, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

I love these little hearts they look so cute in a candy dish. I have a candy dish on a pedestal and it really shows them off nicely.

Your craft experience probably explains why it is easy for you to work with the stretchy and silky fabrics. I have never been too comfortable with them. Maybe some day. Right now I have too much going on to take on much more for awhile.