Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Kaleidoscope quillt for oldest friend >

Kaleidoscope quillt for oldest friend

Kaleidoscope quillt for oldest friend

Old 09-04-2009, 11:49 AM
Power Poster

I love the center surrounded by the kaleidoscopes. How much fabric does it take, (I know you have leftovers), but how much do you have to purchase, to make a full size quilt like this?
Old 09-05-2009, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by cynde
WOW, WOW, WOW

I LOVE IT!

I don't know what else to say
Thank you so much.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
I love the center surrounded by the kaleidoscopes. How much fabric does it take, (I know you have leftovers), but how much do you have to purchase, to make a full size quilt like this?
Thank you. I'm not sure how much fabric I used for this quilt. All I know is that I bought 6 yards and have quite a bit left. I used less than I planned because of adding the hollow cubes. It depends on how many inches between repeats. For the hexagons, you have to have 6 layers of the area between repeats---all alike. For octogons, you have to have 8 repeats. Mine is not really a full size quilt, it is just a large lap size quilt. I like to make them big enough to lay on the couch and cover up with or she could snuggle with her hubby. LOL!!
Old 09-13-2009, 07:38 PM

Hello Kathy,
That is an amazing quilt. I have made some kaleidoscopes but always put boarders around them. It never occured to me to just sew them to each other. Those open cubes intrigue me. Did you have a pattern for them or did you make them up your self? You did a great job!
Old 09-13-2009, 07:47 PM

Great job Kathy! You really did a good job on those tumbling blocks. I bought the OBW Encore book after I made two OBW quilts. Really want to try those next time. Connecting Threads had the Encore for $14.95 not long ago.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Quilter Bug
Hello Kathy,
That is an amazing quilt. I have made some kaleidoscopes but always put boarders around them. It never occured to me to just sew them to each other. Those open cubes intrigue me. Did you have a pattern for them or did you make them up your self? You did a great job!
Thank you. I didn't have a pattern for the cubes. I have the book One Block Wonder. While she showed the cubes in that book, she didn't tell how to do it. I figured it out on my own. However, if you get her book One Block Wonders Encore, she tells how to do the cubes. My first kaleidoscope was using the Bethany Reynolds method. I did a lap for my daughter, and it has 5 kaleidoscopes floating on a green background.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Janstar
Great job Kathy! You really did a good job on those tumbling blocks. I bought the OBW Encore book after I made two OBW quilts. Really want to try those next time. Connecting Threads had the Encore for $14.95 not long ago.
Thank you. Thanks for the info about Connecting Threads. I'll check it out.