Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
La Passacoglia >

La Passacoglia

La Passacoglia

Old 02-28-2017, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Marks on cutting board-perm or temp? I cannot see how this ismaking cutting the shapes easier than a template? I'll have to ponder it.....

great idea of enlarging and machine sewing...you may start a trend.....many like the patterns, but not into epp....
Geri, the marks can come of with alcohol but I don't care, I can always turn the mat around. It is the Michellii cutting mat that works on both sides. You would be surprised how quickly I was able to cut my pieces for the next row. Just think, you lay your strip on the pattern, put a short ruler on the lines and cut. With the template, you have to trace around and keep turning etc. It took me twice the time when I used the templates. I am not into EPP either, that's why I enlarged. I only machine sew.

I also used one of their black rulers with the special pad (it holds the fabric in place) I just cut a piece off that long ruler.

Last edited by Rosyhf; 02-28-2017 at 07:20 AM.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:36 AM

Rosy, I'll be watching this. La Pass is SO fascinating to me, but the EPP is not in my wheelhouse. This seems like the perfect option. Keep showing us your pictures. We're loving it!
Old 02-28-2017, 12:31 PM
Power Poster

Out of my league. Very nice.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:54 PM

Here is the second Cog started. It is the same size of the first one for now, but I still have to add four more rows of stuff, it will be big. Things are going so much faster now that I cut with the ruler on the table. I shook the camera so I did another pic with the first one. I love my kitties..
Attached Thumbnails dsci0020.jpg   dsci0019.jpg  
Old 02-28-2017, 01:18 PM

Thanks for including us in your process. I am only 2 years into quilting and really enjoy seeing works in progress.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:23 PM

I like what you are doing and it is going to be spectacular.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:06 PM

That's beautiful! Incredible work and colors. Very impressive.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:29 AM

Rosyhf - thanks for the clarification on "how". Are you doing traditional Y seam...1/4" award from edge of fab, or are you doing Kaye Woods way of doing Y seams? Do a tute!
Old 03-01-2017, 09:39 AM

Geri, I don't know how Kaye does hers but I will check her out and see. I mark the 1/4 ins with a dot to be precise. I sew up to the dot, back stitch and turn and do the other side. Sometimes as I work on the quilt, I change things from my "know how". for instance. If you look at the kitty, right above the kitty is a star leg. I ripped those off last night and made a ring with the next orange patches and then sewed that ring on, stopping at seam lines as I went along and sewing to the seam line and stopping and beginning at the next. This quilt is not fast lol. You have to take time and be ready for it. As I work on it I know I can change certain things to make my life easier. When I start the next Cog I will post the process that I am doing. I don't even need the book at this point. I have my templates on the cutting board and you don't even have to follow her progression as you can used those templates to do anything, they all fit together. Here is the orange row with the star points.

I lined it up with the first cog and see how it fits together? even tho I still have 3 more rows to do on the cat one.
Attached Thumbnails dsci0022.jpg   dsci0021.jpg  
Old 03-01-2017, 10:35 AM

RedGarnet, I remember the first one I saw. want to make one but little scared to get all the stuff in case I
didn't make it. Each one is magnificient.