Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Layout HELP!

Blog Entries
    I like the diagonal line of darks every other row that you started-try that and see if you like it. You would need to fill in the middle diagonal with 2 darks and one in the third diagonal.Good luck in your difficult decision I'm sure it will be beautiful no matter what

I will be different, I like the second layout best and I agree it needs a dark red border. I do like the red scattered around.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LLWinston44 View Post
    Here is it as a 6x10 (vs the 7x10) but it ended up being too repetitive in color. Idk.....
    i like this one
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Revised layout

Ok, I saw that I was off with the 7 blocks x 10 blocks as it was a difference of 3, and the majority are a difference of 2. (The comment about adding a row made me look at that.) so instead I took out the bottom row, making it 7 blocks x 9 blocks. Also added the reds to complete the red 'lines'. Is this better? Better to have the reds in a row rather than sporadically laid out? It does seem easier to look at this way, but I did like the randomness of the red also.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kim

Wife to the love of my life. Mom to a Marine, a college student, an 12 year old 'surprise blessing', two Bichon Maltese brothers, and 3 kitties.

Well, I have to say that I think you still need to add a row in width from the picture in the post just above mine. The pattern is uneven and feels unfinished. You have lovely white diamond cut-outs that remind me of paper snowflakes, but then they end in 'X's' on the right hand side. I would say, make the center 8 x8--that would give a balanced pattern left to right and top to bottom.

I agree that a deep red narrow inner border would look lovely and really make the white pop.
    Last edited by GingerK; 09-24-2012 at 06:38 PM.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

Ooooohhhhhhh I see what youre talking about. Dangit. Lolol

Quote Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
    Well, I have to say that I think you still need to add a row in width from the picture in the post just above mine. The pattern is uneven and feels unfinished. You have lovely white diamond cut-outs that remind me of paper snowflakes, but then they end in 'X's' on the right hand side. I would say, make the center 8 x8--that would give a balanced pattern left to right and top to bottom.

I agree that a deep red narrow inner border would look lovely and really make the white pop.
    Kim

Wife to the love of my life. Mom to a Marine, a college student, an 12 year old 'surprise blessing', two Bichon Maltese brothers, and 3 kitties.

I like the picture of the first layout better, the red seems more scattered throughout the top. I would make a narrow deep red border then additional wider border.

IMHO the first one you tried balances the red out and will be lovely with a darker border.

I like the very first one too and with a narrow red boarder and the pink outer border it will look amazing.
    Everyday is a good day for Quilting!

I like the last layout, but I think it needs a red in the top right corner and bottom left corner to be balanced. It also needs the red border next to the quilt, then the border fabric you are showing, but putting that fabric next to the quilt, might wash it out. You have a very pretty quilt in the works, but it would probably be in your interest to put it down for a while longer, then go back to it..............just my humble opinion

Blog Entries
    like the quilt but not the border fa. do solid before the print shown or keep the print for binding. like the pops of red?

Quote Originally Posted by earthwalker View Post
    My thoughts exactly, narrow red followed by your border fabric, then maybe bind in red.
    This is me, too. Do a thin border, do the pink as a standard border, then bind with red. I LOVE the first layout (on the first page) because it concentrates the red here and there, but the overall "feel" of the quilt is the pink.

I like the last picture posted. It's very balanced and pleasing to the eye. A dark red border would really make the red in the blocks pop.

[QUOTE=HillCountryGal;5538912]Is it possible to concentrate all the darker blocks in the middle? Then let each color fade to the next.

How about putting all the dark blocks together in sets of 4? You could put them in the middle as the above post suggests and work out from there. Also I think a narrow inner border before the large one might bring the quilt together more to your liking.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LLWinston44 View Post
    Ok this is the border I had bought, based on the fact that it was her favorite fabric of them. It doesn't look good does it... :-( UGH!
    This would look good if you use the darker red as a narrow inner border, then add this lighter one.

Blog Entries
    if you don't like that pattern move the reds to one corner and go dark to light.
    SMILE- it will make everyone wonder what you are up to.
    Stay strong and keep looking up.

I changed my mind I like the last one better. Still like a thin red border next to it.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I like the layout on the "1st" one (not the most recent) -- the darker blocks are more mixed up in the quilt. I like the border choice very much, it pulls it all together. But I would take off two of the long rows and add to the side as the 7x10 blocks is too much difference to me. Nice!

[QUOTE=May in Jersey;5539814]
    Quote Originally Posted by HillCountryGal View Post
    Is it possible to concentrate all the darker blocks in the middle? Then let each color fade to the next.

How about putting all the dark blocks together in sets of 4? You could put them in the middle as the above post suggests and work out from there. Also I think a narrow inner border before the large one might bring the quilt together more to your liking.
    I, too, would like to see you try this effect. I think the fade from dark to light, then a dark border or even dark flange, then your lighter print border and dark binding would pull this together. I know it would be a bit of work to rearrange everything once again, but I think you owe it to yourself (IMHO)to at least look at this possibility since it is so different from the other arrangements you have tried. Best of luck with whatever arrangement you decide on and I know the final result will be lovely.

Is this what you mean?? This is still 7x10

[QUOTE=BeckyL;5540107]
    Quote Originally Posted by May in Jersey View Post

I, too, would like to see you try this effect. I think the fade from dark to light, then a dark border or even dark flange, then your lighter print border and dark binding would pull this together. I know it would be a bit of work to rearrange everything once again, but I think you owe it to yourself (IMHO)to at least look at this possibility since it is so different from the other arrangements you have tried. Best of luck with whatever arrangement you decide on and I know the final result will be lovely.
    Last edited by LLWinston44; 09-25-2012 at 08:40 AM.
    Kim

or this.... (I'm getting SOOOOO overwhelmed now. lol. And all I can see is that diamond vs X pattern clashing. But to add another row to make it 8 x 10? I dunno......)
    Kim

Ok, here's the update if you're interested. Thanks for ALL the help!!!!!!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ml#post5540780
    Kim

I like the very first picture. With the reds being random.

Blog Entries
    I use design in my quilts as I did when I was competing in (and winning) photography competitions. Place darker colors in the corners and sides to define the edges. One's eye goes to the lightest area quite naturally; placing the dark in the corners and the lighter areas inside the quilt makes it easier on the eye. I would then use a thin border in one of the dark colors, framed by a medium value border.
    Just my 2 cents; your mileage may vary.
    Stephanie in Mena

I think the last photo is the best but I always like a balanced design and would go for an 8 X 10 blocks setting and then add the borders. I am always challenged and move blocks and move them and move them some more. I appreciate your angst.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast