Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Layout HELP!

Can you put all of the dark ones in the center and then blend out medium and then lite on very edges? Then I would sash with a dark color first just to lock in the design area, then a med print for full border.....

Quote Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
    I like the idea of using the darker blocks nearer to the center. I would also add a darker inner border and binding. It's pretty!
    Yep...what she said....bring those dark blocks towards the center and see what you come up with.

Try it with a narrow red border, then the border that you planned.

I agree about the red too. Maybe use the red blocks as the quilt center, or throw them out and make a block out of a softer color??? I am sorry if this is not of any help to you.

Quote Originally Posted by HillCountryGal View Post
    Is it possible to concentrate all the darker blocks in the middle? Then let each color fade to the next.

I'm in the same place as you. I've been letting a bunch of blocks "rest" on the design board. So far, nothing looks right to me.

Let us know what you end up doing.
    This was going to be my suggestion, too. The middle somehow looks empty; with the concentration of color there--the red that annoys you--it might look better. But I think it's a lovely quilt and I like any/all the layouts you've posted.

I like this layout the best and after you add borders I think you will be very happy with it

sorry, 3rd picture down

Have you tr ied all the blocks that make a dark square on the border.I see the dark squares as red .I just finished a Jacobs ladder in batiks What a great quilt you have.
    I'm an obsessive compulsive quilter and batik aholic. I make only king size quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiltaddiction View Post
    I like the very first one too and with a narrow red boarder and the pink outer border it will look amazing.
    I agree that a narrow red border before the pink one would look good, too, but be sure NOT to use the same red as in the quilt because if any of your red pieces touch it, it will look like they are bleeding into the border, not the border framing the quilt center as you had intended. It's very pretty.

I like this layout and agree with you that the border choice does not lift the quilt. Once you have chosen the right border and binding it will look stunning.

I love the arrangement in the first picture. A narrow inner border of the dark red will pull it together and the wider outer border of the "favorite" fabric will provide the perfect finishing touch for a beautiful quilt.. froggyintexas

I would move all the blocks with the dark red to the outer edges of the quilt and see what happens.
    Michelle Guadarrama

Blog Entries
    Try 7 across and 9 down or 8 across and 9 down.

Use a red border with the other one and it will be fine. Buy something that "matches."
    Lottie
    Be Yourself. Everyone else is taken.

Blog Entries
    Not sure if one more opinion helps but I too like the first layout and also agree you need a dark red border. Didn't care for the original border fabric but that may have been that it wasn't the dark red that the quilt needs I think.

maybe try 8 across by 9 down? I would go with a narrow red border before the pink floral one and maybe end with a red binding.
    The other thing I might do is just put them all in a bag, the squares that is, and draw them out one at a time and use them as they come out. Truely scrappy in that respect, letting go of all control, or most of it anyway. If I get 3 the same in a row, I'd put the middle one back and pick again. LOL
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

I may be of no help but I like it just as it is.

Add a small border and quilt it.

Chase
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

Th square look like bowties if you put just 2 together. I Love the colors.
    Jesus knows all my imperfections yet he still loves me. Amazing!

Ok, I must be crazy. Honestly, I love the quilt and still trying to figure out the problem. Maybe the red should all be in one diagonal and a dark red boarder. I still like it which ever way you complete it. I love the white parts of the quilt and to me that is your main theme that works will.
    Believe, it can be done!

Thanks, Chase, I just saw your posting....I totally agree with you......hay! Great minds think alike.....
    Believe, it can be done!

Blog Entries
    I think the first lay out looks fine. If I were making it , I would find a solid dard red that matches the darker red print and put a border about 2 inches wide on then add a wider border, about 4 inches,with the print you have there that you bought for the border. I love the pattern and I really like your blocks. It looks good to me. Who said they had to be perfect anyway? Not me.

sassy granny

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maggie_Sue View Post
    You might want to take a photo, each time you change it. You might just like the last one and not be able to do it again. i think it will be great!!
    I used this idea when trying to make a dry layout of my ceramic tile for my kitchen floor. I couldn't get it right and my mom suggested I take a picture of each layout and pic the one I liked the best. That was an undertaking in itself because my kitchen was 14'long! It worked though. The best layout just jumped out at me and that's what's on my floor today.

I think a solid red border would pull the top together. I like the present layout.

OK, I'll chime in.
    What about placing the blocks with the "red's" in one corner grading down to "some red's" to "no reds"!
    It will look more planned like you wanted it to look like a gradient of red. Then use two colors (one of the reddish) for borders placing two reds at one corner and two "not reds" in the opposite corners. Does that make sense?????

Another idea would be to try laying them out so it looks like the "reds" are tumbling down the quilt helter skelter.

Then again, you could just sew it as you have it layed out and be done with it. You're over thinking it like I sometimes do. Go for it!
    Keep smiling, it makes others wonder what you're up to!

Kim

Wife to the love of my life. Mom to a Marine, a college student, an 12 year old 'surprise blessing', two Bichon Maltese brothers, and 3 kitties.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast