Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Learning How to Make Quilt Blocks >

Learning How to Make Quilt Blocks

Learning How to Make Quilt Blocks

Old 07-19-2020, 10:02 PM

Ok, I think I may have figured out your problem with the flying geese. You've added seam allowance to your small triangles, but judging from the picture you drew, you haven't added the seam allowance to the large triangle. Separately, draw each of the pieces in the finished size that you want them to be. Then add 1/4 inch seam allowance to each side of all triangles. Compare both the large triangle and a small triangle to one of the ones that you messed up.

Flying geese are used in a lot of blocks. Try the four at a time method here: https://www.generations-quilt-patter...lt-blocks.html. You don't have to worry about cutting triangles, just squares. I'm a big fan of sew first, then cut, especially for bias seams like HSTs and geese.

Give us a link to the web page that you followed so we can look at it. Even designers make mistakes. I recently ran my first mystery here and I made more than one.

Last edited by IceLeopard; 07-19-2020 at 10:08 PM.
Old 07-20-2020, 12:22 AM

Here's the link: https://quilttherapy.com/?p=14460

I ended up making sure I had more than enough size on the small blocks to get that top seam allowance. After I put the flying geese together, all I had to do was trim the top to the correct seam allowance. Still can't figure out why I needed to do a 3/16 seam on the two blocks attaching to the big triangle though.

I think everything migh have been solved by how the two triangles were positioned on the big triangle, but I couldn't figure that out.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:57 AM

Here's another 12 inch block. It's my version of the "Galactic Star".

I got things a little crooked somehow. I've finally come to the conclusion that not all my blocks well come out nice, let alone perfect. But that's OK. If I can somehow piece them all together into a quilt, then I will be happy. Eventually I will figure it all out.

As usual, the colours are not what the block diagram called for. I'm using what comes as close as possible.
Attached Thumbnails gsqb-small.jpg  
Old 07-22-2020, 11:44 AM

I really think you are doing very well with your blocks. Many quilters, including myself, keep the first one and as we improve and make other quilts, we can look back and see how far we have come. Future ones never make the first one any less important. It is one I still enjoy very much.
Old 07-22-2020, 12:53 PM

That's the hard way to make geese, I think. Next time, try the four-at-a-time I linked above.

There are also specialty rulers like Deb Tucker's Wing Clipper.
I use mine all the time and really recommend them. I think you would benefit from her Tucker Trimmer as well. Follow her directions and you can trim oversize, wonky blocks down to perfect squares.

Last edited by IceLeopard; 07-22-2020 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-22-2020, 01:51 PM

IceLeopard, I guess I must have forgotten about the flying geese link. I just looked. I probably will try to do those four on the quilt block that gave me so much trouble using the over sized method. Just need to practise how it is done before I understand things. I like doing things, as I learn more quickly that way, instead of just reading about it.

I also bookmarked the tools link you provided. Seems those tools you mentioned come in three versions each. And it seems that because they use different measurements (inc, half and quarter) depending on the version, it looks like I would need all six she has listed.

Just don't have the money right now. I purchased a "Stripology"template, as it looks like it can really save time and stress when cutting basic strips and squares. Just cost a fortune. Of course, most things nowadays seem to cost a fortune to me. :-)

Barb in Louisiana, Yes, regardless, whatever you manage to create, is a keeper. It will contribute to something you make. It might just take time to find it a home.

I am one quarter of the way, or so to completing my star blocks for my next quilt top. Not really sure how many I will need. I will definitely be putting, I think it is called sashing, between the blocks. I think this might end up being a 4 by six quilt top. I'm sure there are enough versions of star blocks for me to get 24. I definitely need the practise making them.
Old 07-22-2020, 04:07 PM

Here's my sewing machine extension, or whatever it is called. I couldn't remember which of the five threads I had mentioned I would build this, so I just decided to place the results here.

It's basically thrown together using the materials I had on hand in the storage shed. Top is 3/8 sanded ply, with the sides a combination of 3/4 ply and 3/4 thick clear pine. I had a partial can of Varathane stain with urethane. I then covered it again three times with spar urethane. The splotchiness of the finish is due to my running out of the stain/urethane. It's still drying for the next 48 hours so that the stain/urethane is completely cured. The top should be very slippery with the finish I put on it.

Hopefully this will allow me to handle quilting a bit easier than my first one. I definitely would have liked to use a full sheet of 48x96 inch ply for a top, but as I've said before, I live in a small house. This is all I can manage, which is 24x48 inches.
Attached Thumbnails sewing-table-small.jpg  
Old 07-24-2020, 11:17 AM

Another block done. This time it is called a "Morning Star", and is my version based on the available fabric.

I tried making everything but the center over sized, but it seems I goofed when I trimmed the blocks down. Should have left the outside of the blocks that were to be the edges untrimmed. The typical learn as you go thing. So the block is again a tiny bit undersized by about 3/32 inch on each side.
Attached Thumbnails msvqb-small.jpg  
Old 07-24-2020, 11:43 AM
Power Poster

One of the "fixes" that I have been told about -

One can put a narrow border/frame/sashing - around a block to bring it up to the size of the rest of the blocks.

Old 07-24-2020, 12:10 PM

Yes, I do plan on putting sashing around the blocks. Each will require a precise measurement to bring all of them into a point where everything goes together properly. I think all I will have to do is find the largest of my blocks, and them place the others atop to see how much difference in size there is to make that size adjustment.