Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Learning How to Make Quilt Blocks >

Learning How to Make Quilt Blocks

Learning How to Make Quilt Blocks

Old 07-13-2020, 07:05 PM
Power Poster

12 inch (finished size) blocks are a good choice because so many designs "fit" well.

Old 07-13-2020, 07:15 PM
Power Poster

My moniker on here is for a reason! I am very familiar with that tool!!! Lovely blocks!!
Old 07-14-2020, 01:14 PM

Thanks All, I've finished my second different 12 inch block. It was a puzzle, as it, in the end consisted of five blocks, the center square one, and four rectangular blocks. I've never attached such. But I came to the conclusion that I attached one half of one of the rectangles to the center square. Then I just proceeded to attach complete rectangular blocks around the perimeter. Then I just had to get things to line up on the last half of that first rectangular block and last one. This square was a tiny bit off, but not that bad.

This is called an "Eccentric" which is a variation of the "Friendship block.

I think it came out looking kind of pretty.
Attached Thumbnails esqb-small.jpg  
Old 07-14-2020, 02:17 PM
Power Poster

It does look pretty.

Nice choices of fabrics.

Old 07-14-2020, 04:44 PM

Your blocks look very good. i can't wait to see the final quilt you make from these blocks.
Old 07-15-2020, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by CaleyH View Post
Thanks All, I've finished my second different 12 inch block. It was a puzzle, as it, in the end consisted of five blocks, the center square one, and four rectangular blocks. I've never attached such. But I came to the conclusion that I attached one half of one of the rectangles to the center square. Then I just proceeded to attach complete rectangular blocks around the perimeter. Then I just had to get things to line up on the last half of that first rectangular block and last one. This square was a tiny bit off, but not that bad.

This is called an "Eccentric" which is a variation of the "Friendship block.

I think it came out looking kind of pretty.
That's called partial seaming. Good job figuring things out on your own.

Since you have decided to use 12" blocks, that 10" Union Square will be too small. Add 1" framing all around and it will fit just fine.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:50 AM

IceLeopard, There's probably a "Union Square" block pattern for 12 inches online somewhere. I can always look around and see. If not, I'll just save the block for something else. Maybe make a bunch of the same kind of block, but in different colour patterns.
Old 07-15-2020, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by CaleyH View Post
IceLeopard, There's probably a "Union Square" block pattern for 12 inches online somewhere. I can always look around and see. If not, I'll just save the block for something else. Maybe make a bunch of the same kind of block, but in different colour patterns.
There might be one by that name, but it won't be that block. That's a 5x5 block. 12 isn't evenly divisible by 5. There are lots of other 5x5 blocks out there, so if you don't want to frame it, set it aside for another quilt.
Old 07-15-2020, 06:47 PM

Another block done today. The one problem with this one is probably due to my inability to cut out the parts. And the reason I have problems cutting is that no matter how hard I press down on the cutting template, the fabric under it moves just as I am in the middle of cutting it.

I wish I could figure out just how those who do the videos cut without any problem with moving fabric. It takes me about a minute per cut, because it is so difficult to get the cutting ruller/template precisely positioned, and then the dreaded moving fabric messes up things.

Because of the cutting problems, I am learning how to adjust the fabric alignments before I sew the seams. Unfortunately I miissed one on this block.

The block is called an "Ohio Star" variation. Again, even with the one alignment problem, I am pretty happy with this one. Again, I like the colour match up, though maybe some of you might not.
Attached Thumbnails osqb-variation-small.jpg  
Old 07-16-2020, 10:17 AM

Many quilters put something on the backs of their templates that prevent them from moving. Some of them swear by a heavy cling-film called Invisigrip. I swear at it, because it peels off too easily.

My solution is unconventional. You know those infomercials for that spray-on rubber in a can? It's called Flex-Shot and it comes in a transparent formula as well as the opaque paint-like ones. I spray that on the back of the rulers & templates. It makes them look frosty but that's OK, you won't notice it once it's on the fabric. Those things do not move. You should be able to get it almost everywhere. I think I got mine at Walmart, but home improvement and hardware stores will have it too.