Old 07-06-2020, 01:51 PM

Your blocks are looking good.
Old 07-06-2020, 01:56 PM

Caley, you're doing a great job!!!!
Old 07-06-2020, 06:10 PM
Power Poster

That looks great!!!
Old 07-09-2020, 04:34 PM

Hello All, I spent the past several days trying to puzzle out another block called a "Union Square". It said it was for paper piecing. But I thought I could do it the traditional way. I managed to get the center three parts done, but when I tried to do the borders, that is where I ran into difficulty that stopped work on this square. Apparently the dimensions of the paper piecing parts are different than the traditional parts. Everything was way over sized, so nothing fit. The only reason I got the three center blocks done is I was able to trim those down to work.

Anyway, I still will want to try making a "Union Square" block, but need to find one that is done in the traditional piecing together way, not paper piecing. I may try that when I have the money to purchase a printer and the paper required
Attached Thumbnails uc-center.jpg  
Old 07-09-2020, 06:10 PM

There are several other options to print. You could always copy the file to a thumb drive and take it to your local library, Office Depot, Staples or even some of the Drugstores have printers you can use. IMO...The newspaper/rough type paper is better than the regular copy paper for paper piecing. The cheapest way to do it is to go buy a drawing pad from the dollar store and trim the paper down to 8.5 x 11 so it will run thru a copier/printer. From past experience, I can tell you not to try to print more than a single copy at a time because the paper will jam in the printer. Ask me how I know that???

Which Union Square pattern are you trying to do? The one with the 9 patch on point in the middle: http://quiltingbeargal.blogspot.com/...ilt-block.html
or the one with the Half Square Triangles all around the outside and the square in a Square middle? https://www.generations-quilt-patter...ilt-block.html

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 07-09-2020 at 06:13 PM.
Old 07-10-2020, 01:15 AM

Barb, I was trying the one with the half square triangles. I wanted a little challenge, and I got it. I didn't know that you couldn't do the traditional piecing with something that was designed for paper piecing.

I'd still love to try one very much like this half square one, but designed to sew without the paper.
Old 07-10-2020, 04:23 PM

I am a bit persistent when it comes to something that wants me to fail. I kept trying to figure out how to make eight half square blocks all at once, so I had a fair chance of getting them all about the same size. I finally figured it out.

I was then able to make a modified border around that center portion of the "Union Square" I posted previously. Instead of triangles in the center part of the border, I ended up with just a block. The resultant block pattern is 10 inches square.

After three days of this bugging me to death, I am so very happy it is done, and that it turned out fairly well. Now to figure out what I will do next.

Just a note: This block is square and 10 inches on a side. It's my terrible photography that makes things look lop sided
Attached Thumbnails usb-completed-small.jpg  
Old 07-11-2020, 04:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by CaleyH View Post
I am a bit persistent when it comes to something that wants me to fail. I kept trying to figure out how to make eight half square blocks all at once, so I had a fair chance of getting them all about the same size. I finally figured it out.

I was then able to make a modified border around that center portion of the "Union Square" I posted previously. Instead of triangles in the center part of the border, I ended up with just a block. The resultant block pattern is 10 inches square.

After three days of this bugging me to death, I am so very happy it is done, and that it turned out fairly well. Now to figure out what I will do next.

Just a note: This block is square and 10 inches on a side. It's my terrible photography that makes things look lop sided
congrats! looks perfect
Old 07-13-2020, 04:27 PM

I've finally decided on the size of block I wish to do. The reason is that I am doing lots of star patterns, and I figured that if all are 12 inches, I can make a quilt out of them when I have enough.

This go around I chose the "Trailing Star Variation"

I am still learning a lot. I have finally gotten to the point where I can iron my seams in the correct direction, or mostly so, so I can nest the intersecting portions of the block.

I also learned, via watching a video just how to use the little tool used to take apart seams that were boo-boo-s. And I managed to make a bunch. First one wast thinking I could chain the blocks to make things go easier and faster. But I tend to be a bit dyslexic, or something of the sort. What I do is I will concentrate on getting something positioned properly, only to unconsciously put everything backwards. I did that with my first attempt. From that point on, I just went two blocks at a time, looking at the pattern, and sewing those, and then positioning them per the pattern on the pressing pad. I actually managed to get things correct the second go around. So I think I will take the slow route when piecing my blocks together
Attached Thumbnails tsvqb-small.jpg  
Old 07-13-2020, 06:36 PM

Carly you are doing a beautiful job on your quilt blocks . Believe me I have torn out plenty of boo boos myself I also call it reverse stitching .Keep up the good work.