Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Let's see if I still have it >

Let's see if I still have it

Let's see if I still have it

Old 09-07-2009, 05:05 PM
Power Poster

Sula bug and everyone--thanks for the kind words. :lol: When I first used 3/4 inch pieces I told myself I was going to do it just to see if I could. Well--I am now addicted! I have tried paper pieceing before and did not enjoy that process at all. I have 6 mini's for the fundraiser--I have a couple other posts I sent last night. (Now that I know how to post pics I will put a couple more of my earlier projects on.) I have another fundraiser coming up in November--thought I'd do all Christmas mini's for that
Old 09-07-2009, 05:06 PM

Super duper job!
Old 09-07-2009, 05:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oksewglad
Sula bug and everyone--thanks for the kind words. :lol: When I first used 3/4 inch pieces I told myself I was going to do it just to see if I could. Well--I am now addicted! I have tried paper pieceing before and did not enjoy that process at all. I have 6 mini's for the fundraiser--I have a couple other posts I sent last night. (Now that I know how to post pics I will put a couple more of my earlier projects on.) I have another fundraiser coming up in November--thought I'd do all Christmas mini's for that
I'm just curious but are you using the cut down method or are you cutting them 3/4" to start with? I have done both over the years. It depends on what I am working on.

You are really doing a terrific job of these! You have really gotten the feel for the miniatures! It is so satisfying to finish them and see what you have accomplished isn't it?
Old 09-07-2009, 07:13 PM
Power Poster

Rhonda--both methods. If they are squares as in the nine patches and bars of the bookmarks I use the 3/4 inch squares or rectangles with a 1/4 inch seam allowance (love my 1/4 " foot--just got it this spring). Many of my HST are left over triangles from Flying geese, snowball blocks, or binding joins. I pair up 2 triangels--sew a narrow seam allowance (1/8-1/4"). Press and cut them to the closest size--ie 3/4, 1, 1 1/2--whatever.
I trim seam allowances to 1/8 inch (more or less). I've experimented with pressing seams open or to the side. Although the block has less bulk pressed open, it's easier for my hands if I press to the side. (I think I've milked too many cows in my life!) Also pressing to the side gives me more accuracy when I butt the seams together. Recently did the seamstress trick of grading the seams say 1/8 on one side and leaving 1/4 on the other--then pressed to the side. This may be a compromise solution for me.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:17 PM

Truly beautiful work! I can't imagine working with something so small!
Old 09-11-2009, 01:51 PM

Beautiful minis! Will they be auctioned? Seems to me that would be the best way to raise a great $$$ amount at a fundraiser. Otherwise, people who don't know about quilted minis might be dumb enough to think they are potholders!
Old 09-11-2009, 03:24 PM

Your minis are spectacular.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:27 PM

Very, very nice. Love the colors.