Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Let's see what you are working on! >

Let's see what you are working on!

Let's see what you are working on!

Old 01-08-2021, 05:48 PM

This is what I'm working on....it's a quilt for a lady that wants it to cover her baby Grand piano.
She wanted browns, rust and sand for the background and green and blue for the leaves. I wasn't sure about the background...I don't do browns/neutrals, in fact I have exactly 2 fat quarters of brown in my entire stash....but that is what she asked for.
I did muted greens and blues against the background and it will have a 4" border that matches the ox blood squares in the background.
I will be doing a blanket stitch around every.stinkin'.leaf.

Watson
Attached Thumbnails leavesflimsy.jpg  
Old 01-08-2021, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
This is what I'm working on....it's a quilt for a lady that wants it to cover her baby Grand piano.
She wanted browns, rust and sand for the background and green and blue for the leaves. I wasn't sure about the background...I don't do browns/neutrals, in fact I have exactly 2 fat quarters of brown in my entire stash....but that is what she asked for.
I did muted greens and blues against the background and it will have a 4" border that matches the ox blood squares in the background.
I will be doing a blanket stitch around every.stinkin'.leaf.

Watson
Beautiful! Very unique. Love it!
Old 01-08-2021, 05:58 PM
Power Poster

Watson...this is great...your background design reminds me of piano keys..well done!
Old 01-08-2021, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
That's fantastic, Watson-- love the colors and the design.

Here's something I've been working on for months, I'm now doing some quilting in the borders which aren't shown in this photo, but it's slow going. The butterfly is thread painted and then I stuffed a couple of inches of wool batting under it and quilted it to the backing. I've added a lot of thread painting to the areas behind the butterfly so that they are more veiled, just a suggestion that there's something there. I'd hoped to have it finished this month, but it's going to be sometime in October before I've got it done.

Rob
That is so beautiful. How did you learn to do that?
Old 01-09-2021, 05:27 AM

That is so much fun! I love your colors.
Old 01-09-2021, 05:32 AM

Your thread painting is gorgeous! Do you do the thread painting on a lightweight foundation fabric or do you use a stabilizer?
Old 01-09-2021, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by ekuw View Post
I am working on the quilting of a Mystery Quilt from "Laundry Basket Quilts". Note to self; don't quilt a motif that doesn't come naturally to me. Kinda went down the rabbit hole on FMQ this one!
Wow, that’s fabulous! My suggestion for making a free-motion design more comfortable to quilt is to draw it on paper a bunch of times. That gets your brain familiar with the design and helps to develop the muscle memory to follow its path more easily.
Old 01-09-2021, 06:09 PM

I made another 11 face masks for son's family--had been having trouble getting size figured for the 12yr old one so he got most of these. And bound a Rte. 66 quilt that I started in early 2012. This has been a tough week--both nationally and within the family so not much sewing time.