Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
This little block is perfect - except it is the wrong size >

This little block is perfect - except it is the wrong size

This little block is perfect - except it is the wrong size

Old 09-02-2012, 05:28 AM

Can't you make a white border like the background? It wouldn't stand out then.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:39 AM

Sort of like what's happening to my Dear Jane blocks.

So did you consider making a border of the same white fabric? That might work...
Old 09-02-2012, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
Looks like the last two pieces you added - top and bottom - could be replaced with pieces that are a bit wider. Then add 1/4 inch borders to each side in the same background fabric. Did I explain that OK or is it just confusing?

this is exactly what I decided to do with it. I at first, didn't want to take anything apart, but I took the top and bottom pieces off, replaced them with background fabric pieces just a bit wider. This added height to the block. Then I put narrow borders on the sides in the background fabric. So yes, if you look closely, you will see the new side seams. However, as some have said, it deserves a place in my quilt which will be made up of 128 mini blocks, all different, and once in the quilt, there will be so many blocks to look at that nobody will focus on the two extra (white) little borders.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I thought all the ideas - from label on the back, to pin cushion, to post card, were awesome!
Old 09-02-2012, 05:49 AM

Where did you find this pattern? I love paper piecing and would love to make a Christmas quilt with all different Christmas wrapped packages. Thanks for any help you can give me! ~~Ann~~
Old 09-02-2012, 06:03 AM

The pattern came from Carol Doak's book: 50 Little Paper Pieced Blocks. Each block finishes at 3".

I am so fortunate Carol lives in my state. I attended a class with her last year, which included the book. She autographed my book and was a wonderful, friendly person and a great instructor.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:05 AM

nice block!
Old 09-02-2012, 06:11 AM

Could you add a border of the background fabric or one of the other two colors?
Old 09-02-2012, 06:55 AM

It's so cute and it would be a shame to not use it. I took a class for a sampler quilt. The paper pieced block came out smaller than all the others. I sewed the same background fabric around the whole thing and then trimmed it to size. After it was quilted you really don't notice the extra fabric that was added.
Oops! Now I see that you already fixed it. Please show us your quilt when it is finished. I know it will be fabulous!

Last edited by Pam H; 09-02-2012 at 06:57 AM.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:11 AM

Love the block If you have more of your back ground fabric you could cut wider top and bottom stirps (that means you will have to unsew the ones you have on) and add back ground strips to the sides to make it the correct size I have done that in the past and it works out just fine. Yippie
Old 09-02-2012, 09:12 AM

Forgive me if I am completely off base but it seems as though you might put that unwanted border around the too small block and then put a very few more unwanted boarders around another few blocks that you knowingly made too small and then artistically disburse the boardered blocks in the quilt. I am suggesting blind because I do not know what you have in mind for the finished quilt.

My favorite things are those that show the creation and humanity of the maker, not absolute cookie cutter precision. Touching something unique let's me touch the mind AND heart of its maker.

Please let us see what you decide. We are all rooting for you.

P