Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Look at my estate sale bargains! Kinda long >

Look at my estate sale bargains! Kinda long

Look at my estate sale bargains! Kinda long

Old 08-28-2009, 06:39 PM
Power Poster

What a wonderful find for you. I'm sure she is happy to know her fabrics and such will be loved by other quilters.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:58 AM

Such a shame that her family didn't want her fabrics and such, but what a tremendous deal for you.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:05 AM
Banned

I'm glad to see you got it and appreciate it.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:17 AM

I went to a similar sale just a few weeks ago. One of our LQSs sent out an e-mail that one of thier former employees had died. Her husband was having a sale of her stash etc. He was selling the fabric for $4 a lb. THe shop said that amounted to about $1 a yard. I spent $39. You do the math. The sale started at 8:00a.m. My friend and I got there at 9:00am Things were already starting to be picked over. There were also some beautiful finished quilts. We ran into at least 4 or 5 other quilters that we know from various guilds.
At the senior center where I quilt with the ladies they are always getting material etc. when someone passes away. We have a 10 by10 store room with floor to ceiling shelves full of fabric, yarn and other soft craft supplies. We have used some of the material to make several raffle quilts to benefit the center. We are getting ready to baste one that we put together from some embroidered blocks that came from that stash. This will be the 5th one I have helped make.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:33 AM

Sooooooo sad that other family members don't always share our love of quilting. I am so happy that my DGD loves quilting as much as I. Her mother has an appreciation for the things that the two of us create and sometimes makes some very good suggestions. At least she has a good designer eye. I am sure that the lady who passed away would have much rather have her sewing/quilting things in the hands of other quilters other than family members who had no idea of the joy the lady had in this room.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:26 AM

Our fellow quilters who have gone on to the true 'Quilting Heaven', would be pleased and happy you love your new finds and purchases so much. Better to be in the hands of someone who really needs it than someone who doesn't.

Funny thing you should bring this subject up. My DH asked me the other day what to do with my quilting 'stuff' should I pass away before he does. :roll: :?
I first asked him if he new something I didn't? He laughed and said no! Next I thought how thoughtful that was as he has never asked me about other 'stuff' in the house and I have a few collectibles and heirlooms. :?
Anyway, with a smile he asked if he was to burn it along with the rest of the 'stuff'. Needless to say the fight was on. :x :evil: :twisted: :?
I said if DD didn't want it and would'nt do anything with it, sell what he could as that would give him money in his pocket :wink: , and give the rest to a quilt guild. Guess we should write down who gets which quilt, tools, machines, etc. Food for thought anyway.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:08 PM

I purchased a table like that at Joannes on sale for $60.00. They don't
carry them all the time, just every now and then. My DH put it together
for me.