Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Look at this--very old DWR quilt >

Look at this--very old DWR quilt

Look at this--very old DWR quilt

Old 02-24-2012, 05:30 AM

What a beautiful quilt! So glad that you can have it back to not only remember yor mom, but also the person who made it. Your quilt doesn't look too dirty, and since you will only be displaying it, I would air it in the late afternoon sun to get the mustiness out of it.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:41 AM

That is a wonderful find!! It is lovely and such a tresure to have!
Old 02-24-2012, 06:27 AM

What a beautiful, beautiful quilt! Wow, you must be so thrilled!
I might suggest that if it needs cleaning and you are able to wash it in a bathtub, you put a sheet under it. When you're finished washing it, don't pick up the quilt which will be heavy with water and could break some threads. Pick up the sheet, using it as a sling under the quilt. And if you decide to put it in the spin cycle, give it PLENTY of looseness and run it on the lowest speed. And don't even consider sending it to the cleaners, they have no consideration of quilt care. Ask me how I know...

I learned this from a quilt museum: Rotate your quilts no matter where they are placed. If you display it, you will want to do so for no more than 4-6 months. Then remove it and either place it flat on a bed or place it in storage for 4-6 months. In storage, always use acid-free cardboard tubes or crumpled paper to soften the folds to prevent creases and eventual thread breakage. Store loosely in clean cotton sheets or pillowcases; don't place in plastic as the fabric can't breathe.

You mentioned placing the quilt over a curtain rod? I suggest the rod be heavily padded as all the weight of the quilt will be on that one place. If possible, could you obtain a rack that has three round dowels for support rather than just one? That would help spread the weight of the quilt and prevent damage to those old, old threads.
I hope this is helpful

Last edited by Baloonatic; 02-24-2012 at 06:44 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:30 AM

What a treasure! It is beautiful.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:40 AM

I agree with cathyvv about sunlight. I'd say follow baloontic about the washing with the sheet under it.So how ever you display it no sunlite should be able to reach it, and if it is folded for the display I'd put it on a bed to relax the folds for about 3 days before refloding it about 4 times a year.Thats my 2 cents for what it's worth.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:50 AM

Thanks everyone, for the suggestions. Since it's not terribly dirty I don't think I will wash it. There are a few stains, but I can fold it so that those don't show. My husband is going to make a quilt rack for it and we'll put it in our bedroom, where it won't get direct sun.

I was so thrilled to find this--I thought for sure it was gone! I also got three afghans (crocheted) that my grandma made. I crochet a lot, but not afghans--I am more a thread crocheter.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by 40MPHK9 View Post
Well....it will definitely be for display only, since I am afraid of using it, and having it wear even more. Plus, hubby wants me to make a quilt for our bed--I'm in the 'fabric gathering' stage for that, have one in mind.

I would like to perhaps get a quilt rack to put it on. It would fit nicely at the foot of our bed, and since there are lots of blues in the DWR, it would work well in our room.

Any other ideas for display?? I am open to suggestions, and since I've never had a REAL quilt to display, I would like to know how others display theirs!
Your quilt is absolutely beautiful as are the memories it brings to you. As for displaying it, what about an old wooden ladder. That way you would see the whole quilt and you could lean it in a corner of your bedroom or anywhere else in your house.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:04 AM

I think it's so beautiful ! It brought tears to my eyes!
Old 02-25-2012, 05:17 AM

The quilt is beautiful and a wonderful keepsake.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:51 AM

What a lovely treasure.