Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35

Thread: Looking for ideas for borders for my Kaleidoscope quilt

  1. #1
    Senior Member newestnana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Brick, NJ
    Posts
    820
    I finally put together all the blocks of my Kaleidoscope quilt, which I started almost a year ago when I was a true newbie (didn't realize this is a pretty tricky quilt to make). Anyway, I'm thinking of using light and dark teals in the borders (because I want to bring those colors out of the quilt to complement my bedroom colors) but am wondering if I should do something more interesting than plain borders. Any suggestions of what would look good?

    Thanks so much for your ideas!

    Kaleidoscope Quilt
    Name:  Attachment-50144.jpe
Views: 1587
Size:  80.5 KB

  2. #2
    Moderator sharon b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Northern Indiana
    Posts
    20,411
    Blog Entries
    10
    No suggestions, but LOVE the quilt and colors ! :mrgreen: :thumbup:

  3. #3
    Super Member rootyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Selkirk, NY
    Posts
    9,684
    Blog Entries
    1
    That is lovely!

  4. #4
    Power Poster sewnsewer2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    16,683
    Beautiful job! I'd go with a dark blue solid.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow, NY
    Posts
    4,780
    i would do a 1 inch light followed by a 2 inch teal.

    then the 3rd border would be the triangle unit with the top point toward the center alternated with another triangle with the point facing away from the center.

    you can alternate how every many colors you wish to pull out of the body of the quilt.

  6. #6
    Super Member dakotamaid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    South central Nebraska, US
    Posts
    5,585
    Quote Originally Posted by kluedesigns
    i would do a 1 inch light followed by a 2 inch teal.

    then the 3rd border would be the triangle unit with the top point toward the center alternated with another triangle with the point facing away from the center.

    you can alternate how every many colors you wish to pull out of the body of the quilt.
    I agree! The repeat of the triangles in the border would so complete the look!

  7. #7
    Super Member Marcia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    5,559
    I was thinking triangles, too, but I was going to suggest some prairie points in the last border.

  8. #8
    jewelps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Joplin, MO
    Posts
    949
    it looks beautiful, i agree with the 1 inch and 2 inch idea

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    9,792
    Blog Entries
    1
    Oh man--I LOVE your quilt!! It has better illusions than mine had. I was studying the blocks and I see you have two different ones. That's neat.

    I'd either use a scrappy border of all the colors except tan, or leave the border off and use a scrappy binding.

    Thank you so much for sharing this.

  10. #10
    Super Member Oklahoma Suzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Home town: Rehoboth, MA Now living in OK
    Posts
    7,897
    Love it.

  11. #11
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,092
    Blog Entries
    1
    WOW!!! I love it!!! What great colors in it :D:D:D

  12. #12
    Super Member wvdek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    A million dollar view!
    Posts
    8,889
    No opinion on the finishing, but sure is purdy.

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    139
    I like the way a mitered border looks on a quilt, but that's just my preference... (I'm still trying to figure out how to even sew one on myself) but I think if you use your teals and sew a mitered border on it, the quilt would "pop".
    eta:Wonderful job on this work of art :thumbup:

  14. #14
    Moderator Jim's Gem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Camarillo, California
    Posts
    35,480
    It's beautiful!!! I like Klue's idea!

  15. #15
    Senior Member newestnana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Brick, NJ
    Posts
    820
    Quote Originally Posted by Astramorgaine
    I like the way a mitered border looks on a quilt, but that's just my preference... (I'm still trying to figure out how to even sew one on myself) but I think if you use your teals and sew a mitered border on it, the quilt would "pop".
    eta:Wonderful job on this work of art :thumbup:
    What is a mitered border?

    My LQS should get the credit for the fabric selection...I was clueless when I started this but they were very helpful. But thank you!

  16. #16
    Senior Member newestnana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Brick, NJ
    Posts
    820
    Quote Originally Posted by barnbum
    Oh man--I LOVE your quilt!! It has better illusions than mine had. I was studying the blocks and I see you have two different ones. That's neat.

    I'd either use a scrappy border of all the colors except tan, or leave the border off and use a scrappy binding.

    Thank you so much for sharing this.
    I haven't seen a kaleidoscope quilt I didn't like...but for this I used the Eleanor Burns book.

  17. #17
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,958
    I'm no help, but I have to say how much I love your quilt. It is beautiful.

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Port Angeles, WA
    Posts
    12,753
    I love it. Great job!

  19. #19
    Super Member shaverg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,011
    I would definitely do two borders. I would start with a dark green or brown and then the bright teal. I would use a tone on tone or batik. But that is just what I would do, you should lay a few different things out and see what pleases you.

  20. #20
    Super Member ranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Eastern Canada
    Posts
    3,613
    Blog Entries
    9
    I like your quilt. The illusions are fabulous. Great job.

  21. #21
    Senior Member Sharon - NC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    From Baltimore, currently live in Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    502
    What a beautiful quilt! I think I'd do something solid for the borders, maybe dark.

  22. #22
    Power Poster dunster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Posts
    12,428
    I also made a kaleidoscope quilt early on. It was for a guild challenge where we had several pieces of fabric that had to be used in the quilt. I made up my own border scheme. This is the quilt top before quilting; perhaps you will like this idea. I think it makes a nice frame around the quilt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  23. #23
    Power Poster Jingle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Outside St. Louis
    Posts
    28,610
    newestnana I think the colors for the borders you thought of using would be the best choice.

  24. #24
    Senior Member newestnana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Brick, NJ
    Posts
    820
    Quote Originally Posted by dunster
    I also made a kaleidoscope quilt early on. It was for a guild challenge where we had several pieces of fabric that had to be used in the quilt. I made up my own border scheme. This is the quilt top before quilting; perhaps you will like this idea. I think it makes a nice frame around the quilt.
    Wow, yours is really beautiful, and very interesting!!!!! There were border schemes similar to yours as part of the pattern, but I had to make a decision early on (before I had any idea what the top would look like) to do it and elected the all over pattern instead. Still, I'll think about how to incorporate your ideas. Thank you for sharing.

  25. #25
    paintedquilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wasaga Beach, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4,702
    Beautiful work :thumbup: :thumbup: I really like your colour choices and would keep the borders the same

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.