Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Memory Quilt for my Husband >

Memory Quilt for my Husband

Memory Quilt for my Husband

Old 11-15-2010, 04:12 PM
Banned

Hard to add anything to what's already been said. Your story makes belonging to this forum totally worthwhile even if I'd never gotten anything else from it! Fabulous.

Dana
Old 11-15-2010, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
Beautiful quilt and what great memories. I hope you plan to add a small journal in with the quilt. I thought it was so nice to tell us the significance of the blocks to Marlene, I am sure it would mean a great deal to your DH to be able to read about that as well. You can make a diagram of the quilt with a corresponding number and then list out block name and why Marlene chose it for you to make.
Your idea of making a diagram has made me think........I have some fabric paper which would allow me to design something on my computer and then print it off. I could place it onto the backing of the quilt so the story of each block is always there as part of the quilt. Great idea! Thank you!
Old 11-15-2010, 05:04 PM

What a wonderful idea and execution. Your husband will treasure this and I am sure it helped you get through a very difficult time in your life.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:13 PM

What a remarkably special and beautiful quilt. It will fill you and your DH's hearts with memories for years to come. Thank you for sharing and God bless you.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:13 PM

Lori you just did a Beautiful work of art here plus the memories that your husband and you will always remember about his Mother. Reminiscing is something alot of people sometimes don't like to do but I think it is very important to remember the times growing up good or bad and also of those very special places and people that we love. I give you 10 stars for this Beautiful Quilt.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:22 PM

Thank you everyone for your wonderful words of support!!! Marlene was the most wonderful MIL a girl could ask for and taking care of her at the end of her life was a honor. She never admitted she was ill and dying up until the night before she passed away but instead continued worrying about everyone else. That was just who she was. I've been a nurse for 25yrs and I don't know if I've ever cared for anyone quite like her before. This sounds terrible, but we laughed so hard we cried several times. She found humor in everything, including dying. She was thrilled that I was finally learning how to quilt but very unhappy that I had taken time off from work to care for her. Quilting while she was napping somehow made it okay for her that I was there. You are all so right when you say what a special time it was and the wonderful memories I have because I spent that time with her. I will cherish the memories forever! I just hope I can wait until xmas before I give my husband his quilt!! :) Thank you again everyone!
Old 11-15-2010, 05:24 PM

That quilt is just gorgeous and what great meaning it holds. Your husband will experience all of the emotions you felt making it when he opens this Christmas morning. Good for you. This is such a great gift for your husband.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:40 PM

Very beautiful quilt and story along with. Your husband will love this one, what great memories you have.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:50 PM

we have some things in common. I spent an hour today looking through my 501 book... I loved my mom-in-law dearly, and lived with her for six months during her time of hospice... I have a german shepherd!

I haven't made any blocks from the book, however. You've done a beautiful job on them. Your husband will be so moved by your loving gesture.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:07 PM
Power Poster

Your memory quilt is beautiful!! It has such a special history behind it too, thank you for sharing this with us :D:D:D