Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Memory Quilt using Dad's Shirts

Jim
    September 23, 2010....it had been 7 long eventful years since Dad passed away. There's been many good times and many sad but not a day has passed without missing him. When getting rid of his belongings I took 4 of his dress shirts, I packed them in a box and hid them in the deepest part of the closet to someday make a memory quilt. It took 6 years before I could bear to open the box and once again look at them. I slowly took them apart. I don't remember how many tears flowed down my cheeks as I worked with the remains of those shirts, making them into tiny pieces that would be sewn into a loving symbol of his memory. I finished the quilt in August, and I know that Dad would like it. I took it to Louisville with me in Sptember when I was to meet my sister, Patty. We talked about Dad and how long it had been and exchanged memories of him. I gave the quilt to Patty and we exchanged hugs and thanks and a good cry. I am glad the quilt will be a good memory for her of our "DAD", I put a lot of love into making it and am content that she will treasure it always
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is beautiful. I only wish I had done something like this. What a beautiful memory you made. God bless you.

Wow! Beautiful story and wonderful quilt. I lost my dad in July and also saved a few shirts for a quilt. I am so glad to know that it is "normal" that I had to pack them away for awhile. I would go to start cutting them and just literally couldn't do it. Thank you for sharing such a wonderful project.

Blog Entries
    Your memory quilt for your Dad turned out Awesome!! :thumbup:
    I really like the patern you chose to use the shirt fabric in. It just looks so lovely!! Congratulation's on a job well done!!
    :D :D :D :D

Beautiful story! Beautiful quilt!

What a thoughtful thing to make the quilt and then to give it to your sister. I understand your feeling s so well. I lost my Mama 4 years ago this Dec. and I still have days I cry. God bless you.

So very sweet of you to give this love quilt to your sister.

Blog Entries
    Beautiful! What a treasure!

Your quilt is beautiful. I am sure your sister will treasure it.

[quote=sandyl]So very sweet of you to give this love quilt to your sister.[/quo

That quilt is exquisite. I hope you were able to make something for yourself too from his shirts. Bless you.

Blog Entries
    Bless you heart!! Your sister is going to treasure this beautiful quilt :D:D:D

Brought tears to my eyes as my dad is getting close too. Wonderful quilt and great idea!! Thanks for sharing!

Bless you and I know your Sister will always treasure this ,
    not only for the love of your and her father but because it was done from her brothers love as well.Beautifully done :D :thumbup:

What an heirloom you have created - it will always be cherished.

What a beautiful quilt and what a Great Dad you must have had to teach you to be such a sharing person. Your sister must love you dearly. Thanks for sharing your story.

My dad passed 37 years ago and Mama passed last year and my brother passed in 2006. I miss them so much. We were all so close. I feel so alone now. But I'll see them again someday.

May God Bless you!

It is beautiful. What a great thing to do. I know that it had to be very hard for you. I lost my dad 28 yrs ago and I still miss him.

Jim
    My dad passed 37 years ago and Mama passed last year and my brother passed in 2006. I miss them so much. We were all so close. I feel so alone now. But I'll see them again someday.

...Thats so very true...we will all rejoice in the presence of the LORD.....thank you very much

Super Member fleurdelisquilts.com's Avatar
    Oh, you've made me feel so much better. My mom passed away early this month. I wanted to make a quilt with the cotton gowns I made or bought for her--she was bedridden for a long time so there are lots. I just couldn't do it. I tossed the ones that were at my house but there are still lots at dad's house. I may put them away and wait till I can handle seeing them to make a quilt for one of my sisters.

God Bless and thank you for sharing. It's a beautiful quilt.

The quilt you made is beautiful and so full of memories. Thank you for sharing.

My mom passed away 5 years ago. I have given away most of her clothes recently but still have several bins left. I decided that I will most likely not be able to make a memory quilt. It is just too much for me. There is one dress I saved. I remember her vividly in it.

That is beautiful. My father passed away this year and I haven't been able to bring myself to empty his closet. When I do, I think I'll be saving some shirts for future quilt use.

What a beautiful quilt. My Dad passed away 5 yrs ago. My Mom has not been able to part with his clothes. I recently asked her to let me take them and make a quilt for her. She will get comfort from the quilt being made of Daddy's clothes. I had a hard time cutting Daddy's shirts. I felt I was invading something of his. I've only just started but have also shed many tears while cutting and sewing. I have to keep reminding myself that the end result will be wonderful for my Mom.

Thank you for sharing such a loving memory of your Dad. The quilt is lovely.

What a beautiful quilt and beautiful story. So much love went into this!

What a wonderful quilt! and so nice of you to give it to your sister. I bet that meant the world to her.

What a great thing to do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast