Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Merry, Pics of my embellished applique >

Merry, Pics of my embellished applique

Merry, Pics of my embellished applique

Old 10-14-2011, 08:47 AM

Your work is beautiful! I love that you have used beads and other items to embellish your work.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:55 AM

This is the original fern, with larger swatches of fabric inserted which create the fern, as in the library bag. I am going to try making a needlebook instead of a bag with this one. That is why it is placed on the fabric as it is. Also I have cut batting. Many times I will embroider through cotton batting, which might get a call from the quilting police. But I will pull whatever tiny bits of fuzz come through in order to have a more sturdy piece, especially since I will apply beadwork. At this point I will carefully place this in a frame and start hand embroidery. Sometimes I will straight stitch very carefully around my applique, especially if I think it is going to get some rough handling. I did not do it on the library bag. It has been washed 4 or 5 times in a regular cycle. I turn the beadwork to the inside before washing it. It shows no signs of coming apart, even though I did not topstitch the applique before hand embroidering it. But fusible web is only a temporary fixative. It may be the small stitches on the fern leaves that help keep it secure.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-271082.jpe  
Old 10-14-2011, 01:20 PM

Here are the leaf patterns for the dandelions. I made them by folding strips of freezer paper in half lengthwise and then cutting the jagged shape of a dandelion leaf along the cut edge. You can make your own easily. I have included these here if you would like to use them. You can see the fold running down the center of each leaf. Many times I make my own patterns.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-271201.jpe   attachment-271202.jpe  
Old 10-14-2011, 01:22 PM

Detail of seed head:
Attached Thumbnails attachment-271206.jpe  
Old 10-14-2011, 01:31 PM

I used tulle on a spool that is 6 inches wide. I cut 36 inches of tulle, then folded it down the length and cut it in half. This gave me a length of tulle that was 36" long and 3" wide. You can purchase tulle by the yard and cut it with the rotary cutter. I happened to have this in my stash so I used it. Some tulle by the yard has a fancier sparkly finish which may add to the appearance of the piece. This piece is intended to be the front of a pillow, of course for show only.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-271213.jpe  
Old 10-14-2011, 01:34 PM

Fold the cut piece of tulle 36"x3" again down its length making it 1 1/2 " wide. Gather it with a running stitch along the cut edges. When you have it stitched along the length, gather it together and knot it so it won't come undone. This I flattened with my hand to make it easier to stitch to the fabric.

I worked french knots randomly onto the seed head to hold it flat against the fabric. Later I added the beads. You can see when you look at the whole piece that I don't have beads on all of the seed heads yet. This is a work in progress. I will try to get it done soon and post it here.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-271214.jpe  
Old 10-14-2011, 01:43 PM

These are the beads that I used on the seed head. I think they are called bugle beads, but don't quote me. Memory fails again! I plan on stitching some directly onto the green background fabric to look like little seeds floating in the air.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-271215.jpe  
Old 10-14-2011, 01:45 PM

Detail of snail & butterfly:
Attached Thumbnails attachment-271222.jpe   attachment-271223.jpe  
Old 10-14-2011, 01:46 PM

Wow!
Old 10-14-2011, 01:47 PM

And just for fun, I included a couple of pics of my bead collection that I use for embellishing! I always try to read every post about sewing rooms so I can see everybody's stash and all their crafting stuff they have accumulated through the years. It is great fun for me!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-271226.jpe   attachment-271227.jpe